trouble connecting mac mini to hdtv

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tirexstorm, Dec 26, 2008.

1. tirexstorm macrumors regular

I have a cheap hdtv. when i connect my macbook to it it doesn't get a signal (via mini dvi to hdmi) until i click "detect displays" on my laptop, then "gather windows," then when i set the display to the proper resolution (720) the image appears on my tv without a problem.

I just got a mac mini, and since i don't have two monitors I cannot use this trick. I get no image on my tv. Any suggestions?

2. minicrazy592 macrumors member

The Mini in my experiences, usually will figure out what resolution to use on what ever its monitor may be when you plug it in. I did have one exception with one monitor I tried using. The Mini's resolution was out of its range and I had to plug it into another to change it. I currently have my Mini hooked up to a 26" without any problems.

3. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

If you have another computer, you can install Vine server on the Mini, and the RealVNC enterprise viewer on another computer. Then just connect to the Mini and adjust the resolution as needed. Both the Vine server and the RealVNC viewer are free to use.

4. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Set the mini to a low resolution, like 800x600, then connect the HDTV.

5. ADent macrumors 6502a

Why install Vine? Why not use the built in screen sharing in Leopard?

6. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

Good call. I use VNC every day for work, so I'm used to the interface.

I just got an older G4 Mini and I've had problems with screen sharing and random disconnects. I'm running 10.6 on my MacBook, and 10.4.11 on the Mini, so it could be an issue with 10.6, but I usually get a crash report when I have any issues with built in or 3rd party programs.

7. synagence macrumors 6502a

The macmini was just not designed to be a HTPC ... shame really but i find the hassle getting the resolution perfect with displayconfigx to be simply too nightmareish

Wish the PS3 could have a VNC client on it ... would be great for connecting