trouble connecting mac mini to hdtv

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by tirexstorm, Dec 26, 2008.

1. tirexstorm macrumors regular

I bought a used mac mini today to use exclusively as a media server. I posted the following in the mac mini forum, but figure people here might have advice as well:

I have a cheap hdtv. when i connect my macbook to it the tv doesn't get a signal (via mini dvi to hdmi) until i click "detect displays" on my laptop, then "gather windows," then when i set the display to the proper resolution (720) the image appears on my tv without a problem.

I just got a mac mini, and since i don't have two monitors I cannot use this trick. I get no image on my tv. Any suggestions?

Since I posted that, I connected using a VGA cable. I can get an image, however the none of the resolutions match the tv's proper resolution (1280x720.) The closest option given is 1280x768. Any idea?

On a side note, the guy who I bought the computer from did not include system discs, and he left the computer with all of his settings/software. Is there a way to get a fresh Leopard OS without the startup discs?

2. Alrescha macrumors 68000

The mini should be doing the equivalent of a 'detect displays' at boot time. If you've been flipping monitors back and forth, you might trying booting it with the TV attached and see if that helps.

Secondly, if the mini has (or acquires) a copy of Leopard, you can turn on Screen Sharing and control it from your laptop.

A.