Trouble Connecting mini DV to MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by superspiffy, Apr 24, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

When you connect a digital video camera through FireWire, is it suppose to create an icon at your desktop? I'm trying to connect my Canon Elura 100 using the FireWire 600 port, because I want to edit some videos, but I don't think my MBP is recognizing it. No new icon at the desktop, and yes, the cam is turned on to the playback position.

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I believe the video needs to be imported via iMovie, Final Cut Express, or Final Cut Pro. One of these apps need to be open to import.

3. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think my problems are much more deeply rooted. Here's the full explanation...

First off, here's my setup:
    I have a 2 week old 2.33Ghz C2D MBP, FCP 5.1 UB installed, a Canon Elura 100, an external HDD that I use to stream iTunes music through the FireWire 800, and a 17'' ViewSonic LDC attached to the DVI.

The problem:
    When I connect the camcorder to the FireWire 400 and run Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Pro just freezes (color wheel spins). The same happens with iMovie. When I turn off the camcorder, Final Cut Pro runs fine. As soon as I turn the camcorder back on again, the program freezes again so I can't capture any clips.

But wait! The problem gets weirder...

The external HDD attached to the FireWire 800 also stops working as soon as I connect the camcorder to the FireWire 400. The HDD is a 250GB Western Digital My Book Pro, that's been running fine with no problems except when I attach the camcorder. I know this because I stream music from that external HDD using iTunes. When I attach the camcorder while a song is playing, iTunes freezes. iTunes resumes again, when I turn off the camcorder.

What I've tried:

I've tried disconnecting the external HDD attached to FireWire 400 before connecting the camcorder via FireWire 800. I run FCP, and the same problem. FCP freezes. I've also tried looking for Mac-compatible Canon drivers, but there is none.

In short, I'm stumped. It seems, from the above symptoms, that my camcorder is "incompatible" with my Mac. But this is false. Because before I got the MBP, I would edit video using the school's G5 Mac Pros using the same video cam, and FCP ran smoothly.

So I'm desperate and begging help from any Mac guru out there!

4. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

That is odd. Have you removed any excess languages or other system related files when you first received your Macbook Pro? Since your external hard drive is recognized I wouldn't deem it to be a problem with the firewire bus. Have you tried repairing permissions, tossing out FCP's pfile, or tried re-installing FCP?

6. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm a first time Mac user so I don't know how to do most of the things you adviced