Trouble connecting to certain websites...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by avantgardener, Sep 30, 2007.

1. avantgardener macrumors newbie

Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker here.

I recently made the (wise) move to the Mac side with the new iMac. When browsing certain websites, I realize there will be occasional addresses that do not load properly. I get the "Problem loading page" & "unable to connect" error message here on Firefox. The same thing happens with Safari, so I'm pretty sure it's not a browser-specific issue. When I go to the same websites on my PC, they seem to load fine. Any ideas as to what's causing the problem? Is this a Mac OS X issue with certain website designs?

Specifically the error message looks like this:
    Unable to connect
    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at *******.com.
    * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Thanks for any help guys!
    -AG

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Are you using Airport or a direct connection (dsl/cable ethernet or dial up line)? If it's Airport, you can try using interference robustness, which should solve the problem but may make pages load a little bit slower...