Trouble Connecting to Internet with MacBook Pro + Wireless G Router

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saralynn, Jun 22, 2013.

1. saralynn macrumors newbie

Hi MacRumors Community,

I would like to ask for your help and advice.
    I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro, OS X, Version 10.8.3.
    I need to setup a password to the wireless internet network (I've successfully done this)

I have a Wireless G, WRT54G Router.

When I setup the password, I'm not able to connect to the internet with my new MacBook Pro, which is running Mac OS X Version 10.8.3. I get the message 'cannot connect to Internet, connection timeout) However, I'm able to connect to the internet with an older MacBook Pro, and my iPad. The password works fine with other models.

Would anyone be able to help me troubleshoot what is going on, or how I can solve this problem?
    I would like to be able to have a password on my network, and use the internet with my new MacBook Pro.

I have read about manually adding in the MAC address of computers, and setting up a Wireless MAC fiter.
    Does anyone think this would solve the problem? if so, how can I find out the MAC address of my MacBook Pro?

Thanks in advance for you help and time!

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

none of that should be necessary. That is a very popular router, and the mac should work out of the box. Try getting closer to the router? Or, try power cycling the router.