Trouble connecting to my Desktop PC

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by rubyad, Aug 20, 2014.

1. rubyad macrumors newbie

Hi

I have just bought a new macbook. First mac in about ten years :). I have been connecting to my Desktop PC in my room by going to connect to server and typing its IP address.

I am now in a different room of the house and when trying to connect to my PC I get this error "There was a problem connecting to the server "PC's IP Address"

So I tried connecting by the shared panel on the left and I get the same error "There was a problem connecting to the server "PC's Name"

I can connect fine to my dads Mac Pro with my macbook and he can connect fine to my Desktop PC.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

2. asriznet macrumors regular

Did you use the correct information to access? such as workgroup name, windows username and password etc...

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7116

3. rubyad thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't even get to the point where I enter my login details. And again, it works fine in my room, but not in the other place in he house.

4. asriznet macrumors regular

That's kinda odd that it works only in your room, sounds like a coverage issue, possibly signal interference.

Is the PC wired up to your router?
    Maybe you can try the other way round - turn on file sharing on your mac and see if the PC can access it.

http://lifehacker.com/247541/how-to-access-a-macs-files-on-your-pc

if it works the other way round, there could be some kind of firewall setting on the PC that may restrict the connection but then again it's weird that it's working when in the same room.

5. rubyad thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes my PC is connected to the router by ethernet.

My PC is connecting to my Macbook. I'll give up for now. Thanks for helping me :)

One more question, How do I show my reminders in the notification centre?