Trouble Connecting to Shares without 'Connect to Server'

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ontl, Aug 26, 2014.

1. ontl macrumors newbie

I'm on 10.9.4, trying to connect to Macs on my LAN via WiFi. The Macs I'm trying to connect to are running a variety of versions, from 10.6.8 to 10.9.4.

We're all connected by an HP ProCurve 1410 Gigabit switch, which is in turn connected to an Airport Extreme. The other computers have no trouble accessing each other.

They all appear properly under "Shared" in my Finder windows. I can click on them, but no shares are listed, and I just see the options to "Share Screen..." and "Connect As...". Both of those buttons do nothing.

I can, however, successfully connect to all of these Macs by manually punching "afp://computername.local" into the "Go > Connect to Server" dialog.

(And in fact, for most of the machines, my authentication credentials are memorized, and Conect to Server doesn't prompt me. This means I shouldn't even need to click "Connect As..." in the finder window; the shares should just show up).

Any ideas, or troubleshooting steps I could take?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Easy fix, so follow these easy steps:

1. Make a new folder with a names like "Connected Shares" and put the folder in /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Documents/ folder (keep the Document folder open the drag the new folder to the right side of your Dock.

2. Mount your shares onto your Desktop like normal saving your connected shared password. Then right cluck on the share and make an 'Alias' of the share then drag that Alias to the new Dock folder.

3. When you want to connect to a share now just click on that new folder in your Dock and select thar saved share alias. It will now connect auto and if you initial saved the share password in Keychain it will auto-connect to your Desktop.

This will be the easiest slickest way to save connections to shares on your network. Good Luck.