Trouble connecting to WiFi from my MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evev, Apr 2, 2008.

1. evev macrumors newbie

Apologies for beating a dead horse but I am dissapointed at Apple's promise that "it just works". Here's the skinny:

I'm on a 2007 new model MBP. I'm running Tiger 10.4.11. My firewall is off, checking ipfw gives me "any to any" and I have flushed my ipfw just in case. I am trying to connect to a router that has absolutely NO encryption. It's a 802.11b router.

Renewing the DHCP does nothing. I have no option to restart the router because it's either at work or in a public place where I can't inconvenience other people just because I can't connect. The router is updated to the latest firmware and I can connect to the internet using an ethernet cord.

Here's what I've tried:

I have tried turning off IpV6 and setting my DHCP manually with zero results. I have tried restarting multiple times and putting my computer to sleep and waking up from sleep without any effect. I have tried disabling and then enabling the different port configurations to no effect.

The only thing I've read and haven't tried is deleting com.airport preference file but I can't find it and Mac has yet to "invent" the "Show hidden files and folders" feature of Windows.

Suggestions really appreciated because as it is I have a new machine that can't even connect to the internet. Big middle finger solute to Steve Jobs for lying to me.

2. asmallchild macrumors regular

That's pretty awful. I thought this wifi issue affected Macs with Leopard and the latest updates only?