trouble converting a .doc to a .pdf

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thouts, Jan 6, 2010.

1. thouts macrumors regular

thouts

I'm running office 2004 on my MBP. Normally I would just hit file, print, print to adobe PDF to convert to a PDF and everything worked fine. Now i'm getting an error message when I try to do this...anyone ever had this happen to them?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. thouts thread starter macrumors regular

thouts

it says "You need to install software to use this printer. To install the software, choose Software Update from the Apple menu. If the software for your printer isn’t available in Software Update, contact the manufacturer of your printer."

I checked to see if there was new software, there was not. This just happened...not sure why. Seems like it thinks its an actual printer...i'm just trying to print to PDF

4. Scippy macrumors regular

Are you up to date with your updates?

Also, can't you just choose "Save As," and instead of .doc, PDF?

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Will it print normally?
    If not, then maybe there is a problem with the printer software itself somehow

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. chill. macrumors 6502

are you trying to convert or print?

is printing as a pdf different from printing as a doc?

7. oogieboogiex macrumors newbie

I don't use Word often. I don't recall exactly when the ability to save as a PDF was introduce on the mac version... I know at work we had that issue, we could not save as PDF, but that may have been 2001, not Office 2004. I know it's there now (I recently got Office 2008 installed).

Sounds like something maybe corrupted in the PDF engine. Not sure if you have another program you could make a PDF from (like Quark or InDesign, not Illustrator) you could try testing to see if it's just a Word issue. The update necessary may be an Adobe dl, not an Apple one.

8. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I have Office 2008 or something but when I want a PDF - I use OpenOffice (freeware) and it has an export to PDF button on its menu bar at the top.

Much nicer than "Word"

doesn't help with your Word problem but is a work around.