Trouble converting .MTS and .m2t files to .mov

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayyoung, Jul 12, 2009.

1. jayyoung macrumors newbie

Please forgive my ignorance. I searched pre-existing threads, but couldn't find an answer.

I'm attempting to convert .MTS and .m2t files to .mov, so I can work with them in either iMovie or Final Cut Express (at this point I'm frustrated enough not to care which). I downloaded MPEG Streamclip, which specifically said could read and convert those file types, but when I try to open the files, I get an error message: "Unrecognized file type."

(I was able to bring the files onto my computer using a USB cable, rather than Firewire; might that have something to do with this?)

Anywho, all answers appreciated, but please bear in mind that I'm starting at close to zero in the accumulated knowledge department. If your answer is especially technical (or even slightly so), it might go over my head.

Thanks,
    J

2. jla930 macrumors member

When you try to open the file in MPEG Streamclip and you get the dialog box with the error, is there a button you can click that says "Open anyway"? If so, click it. I get this a lot, for whatever reason, and when I click that button, everything works fine.

3. jayyoung thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that box does appear. However, when selecting it I get:

"The Apple QuickTime MPEG-2 playback component is not installed...

You will miss the two most important features of MPEG Streamclip:
    - you won't be able to play MPEG-2 files and transport streams;
    - you won't be able to convert MPEG-2 files and transport streams to QuickTime, DV, AVI.

However, all other features are always available, including playback and conversion of MPEG-1 to QuickTime, DV, AVI, demuxing of MPEG-1 and MPEG-2, AC3 decoding, and conversion from transport streams to MPEG files (useful if you have Toast 6).

MPEG Streamclip is free of charge but the MPEG-2 Playback Component has a small price (around $20/£15/€20 in most countries); you can buy it online from Apple:
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2
    "

I ignored it and selected "Continue." I got a playback bar as though something had been opened, but there's no video and no audio (please see attached screenshot). Proceeding regardless, I selected File >> Export to QuickTime, and received "Error: can't read the frame size." Do I need that component? I'd love to avoid spending $20 if possible, but if I need it... I need it. End of story.

I also tried to download a different converter, but my computer kept asking what I wanted to use to open the installer. Nothing I could select seemed to work. What application or utility typically opens installers?

Thanks,
    J

4. jayyoung thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess the main question now is: are .MTS and .m2t considered MPEG-2 files?

5. jayyoung thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, didn't work. :mad:

Help me or kill me. Either will do right about now.

6. jayyoung thread starter macrumors newbie

Now it looks as though MPEG Streamclip is actually doing something, as though it has the clip I need to convert open, but there's still no audio and video, and it still can't export to QuickTime.

7. jla930 macrumors member

Actually, I think .mts and .m2t are in fact types of MPEG-2. I wasn't sure before, but it sounds like it now.

As for the different converter you tried to download: what was the file extension of it? It wasn't an .exe file, was it?

I would just go ahead and buy the MPEG-2 playback component for $20.

8. jayyoung thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but still no luck. That converter won't even allow me to select the files from my hard drive. I'm on hold with the camcorder company right now. There's got to be something in the camera I'm missing.
    J

Edit: If they can help, I'll be sure to update this thread for future confused people.

9. jayyoung thread starter macrumors newbie

After almost two hours on hold and (literally) 17 people, I may or may not be any closer to solving this problem. All I got wat that Panasonic HD video files are not and will not be compatible with any Mac program, including the two I'd like to use. They suggested I bring the camera to a PC, do the conversions there and then put the files into an SD card. I'll try that tomorrow.

While we're on the subject, f you, Panasonic. I will never buy another piece of **** product from you again.

10. jla930 macrumors member

Have you tried the MPEG-2 playback component from Apple? It may be worth the $20 to avoid having to do what Panasonic suggested.

For what it's worth, I don't think Panasonic is unique in having incompatible files. If you check out the FCE forums in Apple's web site, you'll see oodles of posts regarding having to convert captured files to other formats. It's a shame, but it seems to be a fact of life. I've read a lot of the posts regarding converting captured files to FCE-friendly formats, and for the most part, people suggest using - you guessed it - MPEG Streamclip plus the MPEG-2 Playback component.

11. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Did you get a solution for this? fwiw: I have the Panny ZS3, and I put the SD card into my computer, copy the files over, create a dmg file, and then iMovie 9 will import them (and convert them to AIC).

I would like a way to view them, though, before bringing them over. VLC will view them, but it's a bit choppy, and you have to launch VLC and then open a file, you can't "assign" VLC to launch MTS files automatically :mad:

12. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

What kind of camcorder do you have? iMovie 9 ingests most AVCHD camcorders. Both my Sony SR11 and Panasonic HMC150 go right into iMovie. The SR11 is real finicky about how iMovie will recognize it. I cant have anything in the memory stick. Once recognized, transfers fine. Then I can export it to what ever file including .mov format.

Just to add. Since iMovie will NOT let me copy the AVCHD files from the cam to the hard drive to import, a way around this was to make an image of the entire cam hard drive onto my desktop. iMovie then recognizes it. USB should work for you.

13. geerlingguy, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011

geerlingguy macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

I'm using Handbrake to do the converting, and VLC to play the files natively. It works pretty well, just takes forever, on my Intel iMac.

14. andypac, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011

andypac macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem

Handbrake has crashed me three times now and so it's bye bye to HB.
    Has anyone solved the MTS problem yet? If so I'd love to know how. I can get MTS files into VLC but can't move the from VLC to MOV. Pain in the butt, or what?