Trouble copying files from network please help @_@

Discussion in 'macOS' started by memsetStacy, Aug 10, 2010.

1. memsetStacy macrumors newbie

MacBook laptop
    OS/X version 10.5.8

NAS : Linux based Planex NAS-01G

Linksys router running DD-WRT

========================
    Quick summary:
    ========================
    I've looked around forum and couldn't find a solution. I could have missed it so don't get too mad if the answer is already out there :(

So the problem is that my laptop cannot access the Nas though all the other computers on the network can. Bad. I can stream through the network via iTunes but cannot copy through finder.

========================
    Details:
    ========================
    Anyways the laptop is on a network with a windows workgroup but the NAS is running Linux. Long story short I can log in and access small files, like a txt, but when I to copy/read larger files 5 mb or above, I get the following error "There is a problem with the file and it cannot be copied."

Large files -> bad, small files -> good. Weird. I check the info on the files and it says under "Sharing & Permissions" that I can both read and write. Hmmmm. My mac is configured for the windows workgroup and I'm able to access the NAS through my other computers which are running WinXP.

I'm using DD-WRT on a Linksys router. Checked the settings and am unsure if there's something that could be mucking up my MacBook.

Another weird thing, streaming mp3's will play the first few seconds before the program dies (VNC) but if I stream via iTunes sharing, the NAS has an itunes music sharing capability in case you didn't know, it works just fine.

It seems like the computer can stream files through the network but for whatever reason the OS and the NAS (Planex NAS-01G) can't play nice T_T

========================
    Me begging:
    ========================

Please help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to anyone who helps since every other forum hasn't been able to get anything done.

2. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Not familiar with that NAS but can you do large file transfers using ftp ok?

If you can then there's something odd about the CIFS/SMB protocol between your mac and the NAS.

You running the latest firmware for it?

3. memsetStacy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I've never used the FTP but I just tried it. Something is definitely messed up since every file I try to access through the FTP it says "Alert 550 : No such file or directory"

And yessir I'm using the latest firmware.

Baffles the mind why the mac and NAS don't play nice while the PC does :\ Don't know if this helps but I can still copy files onto the NAS, just not from it.

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Can your NAS use afp as well as smb protocol? It may need turning on in the system admin.

If so, it may be worth a try as I've found it gives better results on my NAS.

NB - if you do turn on afp you may need to force your Mac to use the afp protocol when connecting to the share again as it may default to the last used protocol for that share. Use Command-K and type afp:// before the share address.

5. memsetStacy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with AFB or SMB settings. I looked around in the html control panel for these settings but was unable to find anything.

Is there a unix command to change these settings? I can telnet in from the terminal but I haven't really done much besides try to install a different bt client.

6. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I've had a quick look at the tech specs for your NAS and it seems it doesn't support AFP unfortunately - only SMB.

I can't see that using the command line will help because all it can do is enable services that are already there rather than via the GUI - it won't switch on a service that's not there.

Perhaps a corrupt file system on the NAS? Can you run Linux system utilities, either from the GUI or command line, to repair the disk / permissions?

7. memsetStacy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the late response.

Hmmm I'm not sure if I can run any system utilities because well I don't know if any are installed. I believe the version of linux that's running on the NAS is debian. I can login and run things from the command line.

Are there any pointers you can give me? Don't want to mess up the NAS since it's still working fine for everyone else who's not running OSX.

Thanks for all the help by the way.