trouble copying iso's to external hd

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adamkesher234, Mar 29, 2010.

1. adamkesher234 macrumors member

Hey guys, I'm using a macbook and would like to copy over several games over to my friend's external harddrive. The files are rather large -8gigs, 6gigs, 4gigs. For some reason it wont allow me to copy the files to the HD. only prompting me with the message "the operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code 0)". I presume that it's formatted correctly because I was able to copy a smaller file (363megs) without any troubles. However, whenever it involves these large torrents it prompts me with that same message.

Suggestions are appreciated. I have these files just sitting on my macbook and can't go anywhere.

Thanks in advance

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If the drive is formatted as FAT32 it has a 4GB file size limitation

3. adamkesher234 thread starter macrumors member

oh I see. how would I work around this? would I need to reformat it to something else? If so what to? any other work-arounds?

Cheers

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Format it for Mac OS format and it'll work out just fine. (And it will transfer files faster too)

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Check out the various file systems here: MR Guide: File Systems

Both Windows and OSX can read/write FAT32
    But there is a 4GB file size limitation

If you format for Windows (NTFS), you will need something like NTFS-3G or Pargon NTFS for OSX to read/write

If you format for OSX (HFS+), you will need something like MacDrive for Windows to read/write

6. adamkesher234 thread starter macrumors member

sorry another thing, I'm copying from my macbook to this external harddrive, but I then intend to copy it to my PC.

so....what would you recommend me do?

Cheers

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would format the external HDD as NTFS and use NTFS-3G to write the files from OSX
    It is a free solution

MacDrive (the opposite solution) is $50

8. adamkesher234 thread starter macrumors member

would I just reformat in disk utilities in my mac applications or through something else? btw what is NTFS-3G? Sorry I'm noob when it comes to this kinda thing. Alternatively, could I buy a 32gb flash drive and use that? seeing as flash drives seem to work without any problems across different operating systems. Is there any file size restriction on usb flash drives?

Cheers

9. adamkesher234 thread starter macrumors member

trouble copying iso's to external hd

hey guys, this is a follow up on a thread I created recently, I'm real noob in this field so apologies in advance... I'm trying to copy over some large iso files (6-9gigs per file) onto my friend's external harddrive, so that I can copy them back onto my desktop pc. I'm certain that his harddrive is formatted as fat32 as it runs on both mac and pc, trouble is that the iso's are too large for fat32 format, as I only recently learnt that fat32 only supports a max of 4gigs per file. so.....

I've been looking for a workaround, only my recent post someone suggested I "format the drive as NTFS and use NTFS-3G to write files from OSX"

could someone please explain to me how I go about doing this, would it be done in disk utilities under applications of should I download something in order to format my external hard drive?

*ps on the other hand, would it be possible for me to just purchase a 32gb usb flash drive and transfer the iso files that way? seeing as those usb flash drives dont need to be formatted to work on either mac or pc? or is there a file size restriction for flash drives as well?

your knowledge would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Cheers

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Every storage medium needs some kind of formatting, as a file system is needed to properly store and address the files and the space they take.

So even USB flash memory sticks are formatted and they use FAT32, so again no files bigger than 4GB.

With the NTFS-3G drivers you can format any HDD with NTFS as a format via Disk Utility.

Just download the NTFS-3G driver, install it, open Disk Utility, select the HDD and choose NTFS-3G from the drop down menu and hit the Erase button.

[​IMG]

Also MRoogle is an extraordinary tool to search these forums and would have answered your questions in less than ten minutes.

11. adamkesher234 thread starter macrumors member

cool, thanks heaps for that. so installing that driver, then reformatting it to NTFS means that I'll be able to use the external hard drive with both mac and pc, and with no file size limitations?? if so, what good is fat32? is fat32 an "oldschool" format that no one uses now? again sorry, I'm noob with this so a little insight would be appreciated. I just want to know what's the standard format/thing to do if you want a hard drive that works with macs and pcs these days.

cheers

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

FAT-32 (and other FAT variants) is a pretty old drive format, yes, but people continue using it fairly widely, because it mostly works just fine (most users don't have files larger than 4GB anyways). So most USB flash drives in use today are formatted in some FAT variant.

It has also stuck around because some other formats, like the ones that MS and Apple have preferred to date (NTFS and HFS) are proprietary... NTFS has been around for a number of years now, but there have only been good solutions for reading and writing it on non-Windows PCs in the past few years.

For what it's worth, NTFS and HFS are getting old themselves, and there is plenty of talk about the next generation of filesystems after that.

(Also, please don't create a new thread as a "follow-up" to your old thread. That's what replying to your old thread is there for.)

13. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Another alternative would be to format the drive in Mac OS Extended and install MacDrive on your Windows machine.

I like making Windows conform to a Mac standard better than making my Mac conform to a Windows standard... But that's just me...

14. adamkesher234 thread starter macrumors member

cool thanks a lot guys, I feel like I have a much better understanding of all this. apologies for the new thread, felt like my old one became rather dead and I needed answers quickly :s sorry!

thanks though for the help

peace