Trouble Creating Audio CD ISO

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SecretAsianMan, Dec 24, 2008.

1. SecretAsianMan macrumors member

I'm trying to create an ISO image of an audio CD using Leopard on my MBP. The purpose is to burn a copy so that my wife can have it in two places at once without transporting it between. I know there may be better technology, but my wife specifically wants CDs.

After discovering that Disk Utility has been crippled so that it won't do what I want, I leveraged my prior life as a *nix geek:

1. Unmount CD in Disk Utility
    2. dd if=/dev/disk1 of=TheDisc.iso bs=2048

After five minutes of drive spinning, this produces a file of the expected size. However, attempting to mount or burn to another CD gives an error message: "not recognized". I tried several other block sizes, but got nowhere. A hex dump shows that the file starts with a lot of zeroes, breaking into binary data around offset 0x590. I don't know if it's ISO format, but there's definitely some sort of data in the file.

What next?

Toast? I don't want to buy Toast. As infrequently as I copy CDs, it would be cheaper for me to just bend over and buy an identical CD. I'd like to avoid that purely on principle.

iTunes + Apple Lossless? Maybe, but my OCD side wants an exact copy of the whole disc, not just the insides of the audio tracks.

Windows? Sure, it would work, but I'd have to call that a Mac switch fail. Copying a CD shouldn't be so hard I have to use another OS.

Anything else?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. SecretAsianMan thread starter macrumors member

Burn does not appear to copy audio CDs. I think it copies data discs only.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Huh, sorry, then I don't know a good way to give you OCD relief.

5. SecretAsianMan thread starter macrumors member

...I get your point.

I got over it and just used iTunes w/ Apple Lossless to burn a copy.

Thanks for the help!

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You need to read from the raw disk.

/dev/disk1 can read from a buffer; /dev/rdisk1 is accessing the disk directly

There's probably a bit more to it than that, but I'm fairly certain that's what your issue is. The data recovery I did over the summer could only be done with the raw device, and it makes sense that dd would like to work with a raw device as well.

7. Phat Ham macrumors member

8. SecretAsianMan thread starter macrumors member

Haven't tested it out yet, but SimplyBurns certainly looks like it will do the job.

Thanks!