Trouble Decompressing zip files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nm8rdave, Dec 10, 2008.

1. nm8rdave macrumors newbie

Here's an interesting one that has me baffled. I am on an iMac G5 Flat Screen running the very latest OS software. I run the latest version of Stuffit Deluxe (10) as well. Recently, I created a folder of files and compressed it to zip. I called it A Star In the West Aiff Download.zip. It compressed as usual. Then I tested it to see that it would decompress, which it did. So, I uploaded it to my FTP site and added a link to the file from my page as I have done successfully with other files. But, this file, once downloaded from the FTP site, will not decompress either manually or automatically. I get the error message: Unable to unarchive "A Star In the West Aiff Download.zip" into "Downloads" (Error 1 - Operation not permitted.) I have checked permissions and they seem fine. And, as I said, this works before uploading and then downloading from the site. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

It is possible the Binary mode to or from the FTP server was not used (not ASCII mode). It depends on how you uploaded and downloaded (using a browser? ftp client?). I'd recommend using an FTP client (FileZilla, Cyberduck, ...) and using the binary mode for transfer.

3. nm8rdave thread starter macrumors newbie

Gee. I'm not sure. Let me check the settings. I am using Cyberduck, BTW. Uploading zip compressed files. I am using Stuffit 10 to compress and The Unarchiver to open. Still having problems.

Back after I check the settings.

Dave

4. nm8rdave thread starter macrumors newbie

Binary. I checked. Now this is strange. I went back to the original files and tested them. All fine. Compressed them. Fine. Tested the compression by having the archive decompress. Worked flawlessly. Uploaded the zip file using Cyberduck. Uploaded fine. 692 MB going in. 692 MB at FTP site. Went to the link to download the file to my desktop. Clicked on the link. File began to download normally, EXCEPT, curiously it was only downloading a file that was 487 MB. Still, I waited the process out and when it came time to decompress the file I got the message that the decompression failed. The icon for the compressed files was on the desktop however so I double clicked on it and it downloaded the entire folder perfectly. AND the icon on the desktop is 692 as was the original compressed file uploaded. I don't get it. It's screwy. Any thoughts?

Dave

5. nm8rdave thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. Still working on this. I think I have isolated this to the link in the web page. You see, the file is there on the FTP site and it is intact. I know this because I can download it from there to my desktop, open it as normal and the files are right there. However, when I download from the website, something happens and it only downloads up to a certain point. Like it stops and doesn't see the rest of the files or like it's going to segment or something. It calls the folder it creates when decompressing by the fold name but adds -1 to the end of the name. And it always stops on the same track. It corrupts it. Again, the only time this happens is when I download from my specific iWeb created page using the link to download from my FTP site. This is where the problem seems to be as I uploaded the same zip compressed files to a free media sharing site and then was able to download it flawlessly from there. The trouble is, I would like to download it from my own site. I'm tired and confused. Any thoughts anyone.

Thanks,

Dave

6. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Have you experimented by giving the archive file a short one word name (no spaces) in all lowercase?

7. nm8rdave thread starter macrumors newbie

Another good suggestion. I will give that a try today.

Dave