Trouble deleting e-mails in MAIL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ann P, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Ann P macrumors 68020

Hi all, I'm a newbie to Mac and need some help. I find that the pre-installed 'Mail' is rather convenient but have trouble deleting e-mails I no longer need.

Upon deleting selected mails and emptying the trash, I find that some items are STILL there when logging into the actual website (i.e. Gmail). E-mails that I thought were long gone are still there. Please someone help? I think I'm missing something.

2. devburke Guest

You have to set up Mail to use all of the right Gmail folders. Right now, your e-mails are being moved to a trash folder on your Mac, but on Gmail, they're just being removed from the inbox, so they remain in All Mail.

Click the arrow next to [Gmail] and expand the list. Then, one by one, assign the folders. You do this by, for example, clicking "Sent Messages", then clicking Mailbox in the menu bar, and going to Use This Mailbox For > Sent. Do this for drafts, spam, sent, and trash. You'll still be left with a few, but those don't have Mail equivalents. I actually prefer not to have the others, so I log onto Gmail and disable them for IMAP.

Anyway, now when you delete a message, it should move to Gmail's trash folder, and when you delete it from there, it should be completely gone.

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You need to tell Mail to delete the message from the server.

Mail --> Preferences --> Accounts --> Advanced