Trouble deploying 10.6 OD server, mixed clients

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by multinix, Nov 15, 2010.

1. multinix macrumors newbie

I'm trying to set up open directory for an all Mac network, and I'm having trouble getting it to work correctly on all the machines.

The server is running 10.6 and set up as an open directory master. DNS is set up (correctly so far as I can tell) and clients are configured to resolve DNS through the server. Clients include 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6.

The 10.6 clients seem to work okay most of the time, but the older machines (particularly the 10.4 ones) seem to have trouble authenticating. From the workstation, I can join / bind to the OD master, but then just minutes later, Directory Utility (on the client) shows the OD server as defunct (red light). At that point won't accept the user's credentials, and I'm not sure where or if any logging information is stored.

I've set up NDS / eDirectory and MS Active Directory, but this is my first attempt with Apple Open Directory. After reading through the documentation on Apple's site (Open Directory Admin, PDF), it seemed fairly straight forward, so perhaps I am missing something.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I have no specific advice as my 10.4 machines are long gone, but you might want to make sure that your clients are binding to the DNS name of the server, not servername.local. This has solved some problems that I had in the past with authentication.

A.