Trouble displaying MacBook on HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by crazybehind, Jun 4, 2009.

1. crazybehind macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    Just bought a Panasonic 50" plasma (TC-P50G10) and I'd LOVE to get my MacBook (late 2006) on there, but I'm having no luck.

I've tried a MiniDVI-Video adapter and a RCA cable.
    I've tried a MiniDVI-VGA adapter and a VGA cable.
    I've tried a MiniDVI-HDMI (from monoprice.com) and an HDMI cable.

No luck with any of them. The plasma screen doesn't even flicker, nor does the MacBook.

I even tried the MiniDVI-Video adapter with the RCA cable connected to an older VCR/TV with no luck. Am I missing something? How can I check that my MiniDVI port isn't dead.

Also tried putting the MacBook into Sleep, then connecting the HDMI, and then waking it. No luck.

The MacBook doesn't appear to detect any of the displays.

Thanks in advance...

I'm drooling waiting to get this thing up on my new TV!!!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Are you sure you're clicking the Mini-DVI plug all the way in? Sometimes you have to push it to click.

What you're describing does sound like a malfunction with the Mini-DVI. Since it's not even detecting the displays, you can't try to change the output resolution then...hmm

3. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Sounds like your mini-dvi port might be defective, try getting it checked by apple make them try it out, and they will probably fix it.

It should detect the TV instantly after plugging it in and putting the right source channel.

4. MacForMeOneDay macrumors member

Have you tried going to System Preferences -> Displays, and choosing Detect Displays once you have it connected?
    My external display (DVI) will sometimes not be detected and this usually corrects it.
    When you plug it in, you should see the MacBook screen turn blue (which scared the hell out of me the first time, think BSOD) :) for a moment. It will also do this when you use "Detect Displays"

5. crazybehind thread starter macrumors newbie

I have noticed that I need to use a little force to get the Mini-DVI to click, so I've been doing that.

And I was also using the "Detect Displays" button, to no avail.

I'm out of warranty, so I didn't want to go there unless needed. But based on the suggestions, I'm inclined to head to an Apple $tore and see if they can check out the Mini-DVI port.

Thanks for the advice guys!

6. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

When you say the MacBook screen doesn't flicker, do you mean that when you plug in the display adapter that it does not go through the normal fade to blue, then back to the desktop as the video system configures?