Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvilLion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
As you can see, this is my first post, so I hope I won't tick too many people off with this question, lol

Whenever I try to download an .avi file off any site, it just won't download at all (like it doesn't connect to the server), or it downloads about 30kb before getting stuck and then getting timed out. So do I need to download any new codec to be able to download .avi files??
Downloading wmv, mpegs, movs, etc are no problem at all.

I'm using Mac OSX v.10.2.8, and I use Safari. Have tried IE to no avail, and Firefox doesn't work on my computer at all.

Hoping someone can help :)

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Are you trying to download the file to your computer or are you trying to stream it from the site? I can't think of a reason that you wouldn't be allowed ot download them, but if your trying to stream getting the right codec (Divx maybe) might help.

EvilLion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
I'm trying to download it and save it onto my computer - I hate streaming, lol.
It's strange, because I used to be able to d/l avi files with no probs at all, but since about 2-3 weeks ago, it suddenly wouldn't work :(
It's not from a particular website, it's everywhere really, so it's not a case of being banned from downloading or anything.
Very confusing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.