Trouble downloading DMG files directly from browser (Safari and FF)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hit2cho, Apr 6, 2009.

1. hit2cho macrumors newbie

When trying to download .dmg files through my browser (for example- when downloading the trial version of iWork on apple.com, or when trying to download the app from this site: http://postbox-inc.com/ ), my screen will usually say "thank you for downloading" or "your download will start momentarily," but the download doesn't start. I have this problem with both Safari and Firefox. Are any of you guys out there experiencing a similar problem? If so, have you been able to fix it? Any fixes out there for this?

2. oYx macrumors regular

i've the same problem for quite a while now.

did you manage to resolve it?

3. aalaap macrumors newbie

I'm facing a similar problem right now. It might be related.

I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard. Using Safari 4.0.3, I went to download the new Opera 10 final release to download it. I get the "thank you..." page, but the next page, where the actual .DMG file is linked, shows up like it's QuickTime (or something else) trying to stream a video. I tried this using a couple of different mirror URLs and it's always the same.

I saw the source and it seems that Safari thinks it's a video file and wraps it in an HTML5 <video> element. It's not the URL giving out any HTML instead of the actual binary, because I fired up Chrome and the exact same URL started downloading right away. It should be done downloading now..

So what could this be? Why does Safari think that a DMG I'm downloading is a streaming video?

4. choi macrumors newbie

I met the same problem and solved it by removing igetter plugin. It seems that many plugins doesn't support safari in snow leopard.