Trouble Downloading/Software Update/Failing to mount Disk image

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aglinder, Sep 7, 2010.

1. aglinder macrumors newbie

Hi,

Basically I'm having trouble downloading updates, etc.
    When I try Software Update I get 'Software Update could not expand the package correctly' - I've already searched this and found nothing useful that remedies the problem.
    One promising solution was to download directly from the Apple Support page, however when I try this the download begins initially but then I notice the kb/sec rate steadily deteriorate until it stops and the download closes. A .dmg file appears in the Downloads folder, but is obviously not as big as it should be, and upon opening it I get 'The following disk images failed to mount... : No mountable files systems'.
    This happens when I try downloading the most up to date Security Update/Safari 5/VLC 1.1.3 - these are the only things I've tried so far...
    I'd appreciate any help/suggestions.

Running OSX 10.5.8 / 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2GB 800Mhz DDR2 /iMac 8,1

Additional - tried downloading through Software Update again, this time got error along the lines of 'download interrupted due to timeout' and cancelled as a result, my coneection was stable though (as far as I know since I don't babysit the download as it happens) - does the screensaver cause this? Should I deactivate the screensaver and all power-saving options when downloading?

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Definitely try deactivating the power save feature first and see how it goes. Then, if you are connected through Wireless, try switching to wired, and vice-versa if the other way around. If you have both, disconnect the wireless and just use the wired connection first.

You might try to do a speedtest at http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest and see if that gives you any hint as to issues with your connection. I imagine it's okay if you can browse, stream video, etc., while online.

Also, if you have a BitTorrent client running, pause or stop it when trying to update to make sure it's not hogging your bandwidth.