Trouble finding a 13" MBP at various Apple Stores

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marvel2, Jul 1, 2009.

1. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I have the base model 13" MBP in my possession, but I have been trying to return it for a 13" 2.53ghz machine since last Friday. And even until today, they have been out of stock of this particular model. I have called all the Apple Stores in my area and they have been out of stock for about 5-6 days. I checked the online store and all 2.53ghz models (13" or 15") are backordered 5-7 days. All other models ship within 24 hours.

So, what are your experiences at your Apple Store in regards to the stock of 13" 2.53ghz model? Are the higher end 13" selling this well, or could there be a problem producing/sourcing enough 2.53ghz processors?

I will continue to wait until they are back in stock until then.

2. jay1118 macrumors member

jay1118

I bought my 2.53 GHz online because i couldnt find it in my local apple store.

I would suggest it to you as well.

3. cababah macrumors 68000

I have heard that they are selling very well...makes sense.

Bought my 2.53 GHz online as well the first day it was announced.

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah, they are selling VERY well. Last time I was at my closest Apple store, I probably saw at least 10 of them being sold in the 20 minutes that I was there.

5. marvel2 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just wanted to make it clear, I am looking for the 2.53ghz model. There are plenty of the base model in stock.

I also thought about ordering online but I would wait the 5-7 day backorder period plus the shipping time. I would rather drive 25 minutes to my local Apple Store and pick one up.

6. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

If they are sold out and on back order then I don't see how you can expect to have it faster than the online store. And why drive to a store when it's delivered home to you. You also have better return purchase rights if you order online than at a store at least here in Europe

7. mrj205 macrumors regular

Well obviously. We all love to walk out with our purchases in hand.:D When I order online I try to not check the tracking information religiously, that way it's a nice surprise when whatever I ordered arrives. However, I don't think the stores will reserve or give you a raincheck for the machine. But if your local Apple Store said it would be ~5 days until they restock, wouldn't it be just as easy to order it online, wait the extra 3 or 4 days, and be assured that you will get one? For all you know when your store restocks it will just sellout again in a few minutes, hours, or days. I would just buy online if I were you...

8. marvel2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well...I purchased the base model a few days ago and currently have it in my possession, SEALED. So as of right now, I'm waiting for the Apple Store to get restocked so I could return it for the higher configuration.

You don't know how hard it has been for me to keep this machine in its box! I know I will kick myself later on down the road if I have to settle for a configuration I don't want.

I order so much crap online, I almost forget the feeling of walking out of a store with something you have spent so much work time and energy into saving for.

9. poematik14 macrumors member

Its very childish to fuss about having the "higher" model. You will never notice the extra 270mhz or so during everyday computing. Both processors have the same amount of L2 and FSB. Just put 4GB of RAM in your system, shut up, and be happy. The model thing is just a placebo- again, you can package a 2.26 system and label it 2.53 and 9/10 users wont tell the difference.

10. cababah macrumors 68000

So what if he wants the 2.53 GHz? Who are you to try and convince him otherwise?

If that is the model he wants, then so be it. The people that buy it in the stores probably don't like to upgrade things themselves so they probably buy the 2.53 model for the extra RAM.

11. marvel2 thread starter macrumors 6502

I read the threads and heard the arguments. I'm simply using the terms "base model" and "2.53 model" to differentiate the two, not to be an elitist. Here is how I see it; If I buy the base model, I will upgrade the ram and HD because the HD is just too small to fit everything I need and add 4gb of ram to get a speed increase. This would bringing the difference between the two models to $150. If I buy the 2.53 configuration, I wouldn't have to upgrade anything because I can make do with a 250gb HD until the price of SSDs drop (not to mention the price of 8gb of ram). I plan on keeping this notebook a while so the $150 difference is fine with me.

I feel like we are getting off topic. Anyone else find their Apple Store have no stock of the 13" MBP 2.53? All stores in my state is out of stock.

12. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Wow, so harsh.:mad: In the long run, it'll be a better investment, especially if he decides to keep it for a few years. Your philosophy basically says, why even get a 1199 13" base model MBP when you can get a 999 White MB? If you put an aluminum case over the white MB, you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.:rolleyes:

13. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Agreed.;)

14. poematik14 macrumors member

I read his reply and understood his situation- its made alot of sense actually. And no, my philosophy is, as a consumer, to seek a balance between cost and performance. And btw, the whitebook is a whole different animal than the unibodys. Slower processor, less L2, DDR2 ram, and a plastic frame are the most obvious.

15. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

i think you should just order online becuase then your guaranteed whatever you want but i also think that you should wait until you kill the harddrive or where this one out or whatever. basically, just wait until the one you have no longer works for you :apple:

16. cababah macrumors 68000

That is your personal "philosophy." Every consumer has a different budget and different means by which they weigh their purchases.

17. poematik14 macrumors member

I see your point as to how everyone's spending habits are relative,

BUT there are many many trends and generalizations about aggregate consumer spending, which economists and investors use almost daily.

18. cababah macrumors 68000

I agree but don't you think it is un-wise to project these "aggregate generalizations" on a specific individual?

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The 2.53 is the sweet Macbook to buy. The 13" and the 15" are currently on back order for 7-10 days. My only gripe with the OP is he's coming here sorta complaining about not being able to get what he wants but why didn't he buy the 2.53 in the first place and why did he get the "base model"? I ordered the 13" 2.53 the day after the keynote, I didn't have to think about it so why didn't the OP do this?

20. marvel2 thread starter macrumors 6502

7-10 days now?! It was 5-7 days earlier today.

But yes, I went into the store and told the guy to bring out the 2.53 model but they were sold out. So I thought I would just save some money and get the 2.26. After bringing it home and thinking it over, I decided I would just go back to the store the next day and exchange it for the model I wanted in the first place. And here we are now...with a 7-10 day back order. But it was my bad, I'll wait it out :(

Thanks for the input all.

*EDIT*

I forgot to add...I noticed both configurations with the 2.53ghz processor, 13" and 15", are both back ordered 7-10 days. Not just the 13" model. So either these two models are selling really well or there is a problem sourcing/producing the P8700 processor.

21. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Okay, always go with your first instinct, don't allow price to cloud your judgement in terms of a few dollars in savings. I posted this tip on Notebook Review, you may or may not go for it but this will help. Only the stock configs are on backorder. If you CTO the hard drive it will change to 1-3 days shipping. Most people are going to upgrade the hard disk anyway. For $50 more you can get the 320GB hard drive and it will get shipped 1-3 days.

22. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

buy it online through the discovercard link (get a discovercard if you don't already) and get 5% cashback on top of the ipod and printer if you're getting through the education store

23. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

When I bought my printer, it said 7-10 days.

It shipped the next day.