Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Petrophas

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2018
Looked all over Amazon and at best, I can find hubs with two USB-C ports, but one has to be for PD charging. Thus, plugging in the port still leaves me with one open USB-C port.

I'm looking to buy one and I'm trying to transition most of my tech to USB-C plugs. While one USB-A port is good to have, I don't need 4 of them.

I'm looking for something with one USB-A, one USB-C for PD, and two open USB-C ports for connectivity. Haven't seen one yet...

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 works as a USB-C dock or a Thunderbolt dock. In USB-C mode, it has the following:
1) USB-C: 10 Gb/s (rear) with DisplayPort alt mode (DisplayPort 1.4 four lanes)
2) USB-C: 10 Gb/s (front)
3) USB-C: 480 MB/s (rear Thunderbolt port)
4) USB-A: 10 Gb/s (side)
5) USB-A: 5 Gb/s (rear)
6) USB-A: 5 Gb/s (rear)
7) VGA
8) DisplayPort 1.4 four lanes
9) DisplayPort 1.4 four lanes

There's a USB Ethernet port that only works in Thunderbolt mode.
The bottom Thunderbolt port has power delivery. Power Delivery works for both USB-C and Thunderbolt modes. In USB-C mode, it supports USB-C 10 Gb/s input, with two lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 input.
#1,#8,#9 are part of a three port DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub. IF #7 is connected, it replaces #1. macOS can't use MST hub for multiple displays except to mirror them. The MST hub also allows converting two lane input to four lane output. I don't think it has DSC input enabled - that may require a firmware update.

Update: the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 does support DSC with the latest firmware update - you need Windows 10 with non-DCH Thunderbolt driver (Boot Camp should work).

Last edited:

Davidalan

Contributor
Nov 20, 2012

Davidalan

Contributor
Nov 20, 2012

2 USB-C and 2 usb a
[automerge]1586876732[/automerge]
Quote from article Cult of Mac
Today’s USB-C hubs include multiple USB-A ports, but can’t add additional USB-C ports. This will change when USB4 gets widely implemented, which just took a big step forward with the specifications for this standard being finalized.
And users should welcome an increase to 40Gbps data transfer speeds, too.
It won’t happen immediately, however. The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) has only just published the specs for USB4, and computers that support it aren’t yet available. The same goes for accessories, though the specification is backward compatible so USB devices made today will be usable with USB4-enabled desktops, laptops, tablets and phones.

sparksd

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

2 USB-C and 2 usb a
[automerge]1586876732[/automerge]
Quote from article Cult of Mac
Today’s USB-C hubs include multiple USB-A ports, but can’t add additional USB-C ports. This will change when USB4 gets widely implemented, which just took a big step forward with the specifications for this standard being finalized.
And users should welcome an increase to 40Gbps data transfer speeds, too.
It won’t happen immediately, however. The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) has only just published the specs for USB4, and computers that support it aren’t yet available. The same goes for accessories, though the specification is backward compatible so USB devices made today will be usable with USB4-enabled desktops, laptops, tablets and phones.

That Belkin has limited capability and pretty bad reviews.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Davidalan

Contributor
Nov 20, 2012
At this point in time we will have to wait and see. The most recent answer I have found is bellow:

The chips needed to produce one-to-many USB-C hubs essentially do not currently exist.

Some of the same complaints are outlined here:

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/10/14/the-impossible-dream-of-usb-c/

None of these USB-C “hubs” actually give you more USB-C ports.
There is supposedly news for 2019/2020 that suggests hub chips may be coming soon:

Update (2018-07-30): Accidental Tech Podcast reports on a rumor that next year Intel will finally ship the chip that’s needed for making a USB-C that adds additional type-C ports.
http://atp.fm/episodes/284

We've heard from an anonymous person that Intel is finally releasing a hub chip for USB-C next year. We may not see products based on it until 2020.

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
Would this work?

When you try and preorder, there seems to be two versions. One USB4 and one Thunderbolt 3 for M1 Macs. Wasn't sure which one to get if I don't have an M1 Mac (yet). Will in future though. I'd assume the Thunderbolt 3 is safer one to get.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Would this work?

When you try and preorder, there seems to be two versions. One USB4 and one Thunderbolt 3 for M1 Macs. Wasn't sure which one to get if I don't have an M1 Mac (yet). Will in future though. I'd assume the Thunderbolt 3 is safer one to get.

OWC is closed Thanksgiving. I sent a message asking this question. I hope to hear from them soon.
The question is, are they different products, or are they just asking to know what you're going to use it with?
If they are different, then what happens if you use one with the other use case?

Reactions: dave070

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
OWC is closed Thanksgiving. I sent a message asking this question. I hope to hear from them soon.
The question is, are they different products, or are they just asking to know what you're going to use it with?
If they are different, then what happens if you use one with the other use case?
Thanks. I preordered the M1 version but was wondering the same thing. They mention nothing about two products until you place an order.

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
I think Thunderbolt3 only supports a 4K monitor and generally not a 5k monitor (except the LG 5K which Apple helped enable with some custom jiggery-pokery). But given the hub is Thunderbolt4 I can’t think what the difference would be...

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I think Thunderbolt3 only supports a 4K monitor and generally not a 5k monitor (except the LG 5K which Apple helped enable with some custom jiggery-pokery). But given the hub is Thunderbolt4 I can’t think what the difference would be...
Thunderbolt 3 supports two four lane DisplayPort signals using link rates: HBR2 & HBR2 and HBR3 & HBR.
Apple allow HBR3 & HBR3 for the Apple Pro Display XDR connected directly to the Thunderbolt port of a MPX GPU that does not support DSC to do 6K 60Hz 10 bpc but this doesn't work from a dock.

The LG UltraFine 5K uses dual HBR2 connections to make a 5K 60Hz 10 bpc image.
A single HBR3 DisplayPort connection can do 5K 60 Hz 8 bpc without DSC or chroma sub sampling.

There shouldn't be any significant difference with the Thunderbolt 4 hub except there are more Thunderbolt ports.

Reactions: ader42
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.