Trouble for bumpers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by poetrydaze, Jun 26, 2010.

1. poetrydaze macrumors newbie

I'm seeing reports across many forums that the bumpers do not work. If you have a video please post as I've yet to see it. PLEASE POST! I'm counting on that to solve my problem.

2. coelacanth macrumors 6502

May I ask what you mean by "the bumpers do not work"? it fits great and "works" just fine for it's purpose. Are you talking about reception issue?

3. poetrydaze thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course I'm talking about the reception issue! Your phone may be fine but there are national and international headlines about many thousands of bad phones. There have been rumors that the bumpers help but I've seen no video proof!!!

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

What problem?

5. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

There is no reception issue. It's all just blogger hype designed to drive traffic mixed with a bit of retaliation over the Gizmodo incident.

The iP4 is fantastic. Reception and audio quality is light years ahead of other products. Don't believe what you're reading.

BJ

6. irich25 macrumors regular

lol.. there is an issue... your crazy if you think there isn't

7. xmtgx macrumors regular

I think your crazy, I've only ever seen this on gizmodo who is mad at apple, so its obviously a lie.

8. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Sure. The problem graced the pages of CNN, BBC, nyt, wired, msnbc for no reason.

9. irich25 macrumors regular

yea the hundreds of video you see online are all lies...

and i'm a liar for replicating the issue on my phone

am i right?

10. dagored macrumors 65816

There is an issue with some phones. At 10% that would be over 60,000. Yes, that is quite a bit.

I have not had the issue and my service has been excellent up to this point. If you have the problem, I can imagine you are not a happy camper, neither would I.

It is not a blanket problem, everyone has it, issue.

11. irich25 macrumors regular

yes i know its not a problem for everyone but the person i quoted is saying nobody is having this problem and were all just liars

12. THFourteen macrumors 6502a

THFourteen

For what it's worth, I can replicate the issue, and so can two of my friends, it definitely exists. The extent to which it will bother you is a personal issue, mine is in a crappy sleeve so I don't notice at all.

13. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

No way to know if my Bumper is "working", as I never had a problem with signal (I am left handed, must have been doing it wrong.. er right?). At any rate, it looks and feels great. And it also raises the iPhone 4 just enough so that the back glass isn't directly touching the surface of my desk. All around win, so far..

14. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdB-VkEpoC4

Have you actually watched the videos? The "issue" is created by holding the phone the way no human would ever hold the phone unless maybe you're a left-handed version of Andre The Giant.

News Flash: Putting contact lenses in your nostrils will not correct your vision.

BJ

15. irich25 macrumors regular

16. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

It happens to me when I hold the phone quite naturally for using it as a data device.

17. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Like I said, this "issue" can only be caused by an overweight lefty. Seeing that only 7% of the US population is left-handed and only 20% of them are overweight, the reception non-issue applies to less than 2% of the iPhone 4 buying public.

News Flash: Pouring milk in an upside-down glass may cause spillage.

BJ

18. irich25 macrumors regular

LOL.. you do not have to be left handed to hold your phone with your left hand
    weight does not determine if you lose reception or not..

19. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I've been able to replicate it once, or twice, but its pretty hard to do. I don't understand why the blogs keep freaking out about it. It is way overblown, it also depends on if you are in a location with shoty AT&T coverage, combined with gripping the phone with your left hand tightly can lower your signal. But under most everyday situations it wont effect it. All the 24 hours news networks are covering it because they are 24 hour news networks and anything to report on about the new iPhone and they will. I doubt any of them tested it themselves, and probably their sources are Gizmodo, or Youtube. You have to understand, real journalism is dead.

20. photomac macrumors member

come on

Its a big issue!

21. mbob macrumors member

I was in Dallas TX and saw it occur on two iphones people had there. When I got home to Virginia and finally opened mine it does it also. In my home my 3gs ranges from 1 to 3 bars through the day usually steady 2. The i4 is the same but if I so much as pick it up with either hand I drop signal completely.

22. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Nobody has bothered answering the OP question. Reception problems do occur for some phones depending on where they are held and the signal strength but, "Do the bumpers fix the issue for the people in this thread who are experiencing this problem" ? Likewise, does a case fix the issue ?

23. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

Yes, I just did it right now to verify. I hold it without the bumper and I go from 5 bars down to 1 after 5 seconds. If I let go it goes back up to 5. If I put the bumper on and hold it identically the bars do not change. I can't find a way to hold it with the bumper that makes the bars go down.

This doesn't bother me as I can make calls without issue and have 100% perfect reception no matter how many bars I have. I have only dropped a call one time since release day and I had full bars when it happened.

24. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

i'm right handed but i use my phone in my left hand, i keep it in my left pocket so that's the hand that pulls it out of the pocket and does the navigating, I'm getting a case anyway because I don't want to damage my new investment so I guess I won't even know if I have the issue unless a case doesn't help, heh

25. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

I'm noticing a little dB loss, but not even /close/ to the amount lost without one. It's more in the range of what you'd expect if it was internal.