Trouble getting 2 color prints made.

blackxacto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
17,1 iMac, 10.14.3, home wifi network, Comcast Internet, iPhoneSE:

Today, I made two color jpeg images on my iMac. Drug them onto a 1G USB stick which was formatted APSF.
I went to Walmart and Office Max. Neither store was compatible with the 1G USB stick. At Walmart I tried to use my iPhoneSE, so I searched my iCloud Photo Library on my phone. No luck. The two images were not there.

My desktop iMac stores all photos from my desktop, to my iCloud Photo Library where the two images reside after working on them and after moving them to the USB stick.

But they weren't in the cloud. When I got home I checked my iCloud Photo Library once again. The two images are in the cloud.

Where were the images when I went into Walmart. If APSF is incompatible with businesses, who do you guy's use to print glossy color prints online. Surely there is a quality printer out there.

Last edited:

blackxacto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I tried to reformat the USB stick, but in Mojave there were only 4 choices in Disk Utility, and all were APSF. Where do you get this NTFS, or what did you use to format NTFS?

blackxacto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
What is master boot record? Again there are only 4 formats allowed by Disk Utility, and all are APSF. What do I use to format, other than Disk Utility?

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
To format a USB drive in FAT32 or exFAT:

1. Plug the USB drive into your Mac.

2. Go to Applications>Utilities and launch Disk Utility.

3. Click on the USB drive in the sidebar in Disk Utility.

4. Click Erase in the Disk Utility toolbar.

5. Type in a name for the formatted disk.

6. Click on the Format menu and choose either MS-DOS (FAT32) or ExFAT.

7. Click Erase.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The option is still there on Mojave. The step-by-step instructions given above work perfectly for me.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I suspect that if you have formatted the drive as APFS, you have to erase the device (not the volume):
Mount the stick in your Disk Utility.
Change the "View" icon to "Show all Devices"
You should now see the manufacturer's info for your stick, not just the volume name.
Click that manufacturer's line, then choose Erase (Don't choose the "1TB" line, which is the name of your present volume. Choose the device line, directly above that. :cool: )
Change Format to MS-DOS (FAT), and change Scheme to "Master Boot Record"
Enter a name for your stick, if you like, and then --- click Erase.
Enjoy...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Is it actually a stick (flash drive) or is it a hard drive? Given that it's 1 TB, I suspect the latter!

blackxacto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
It helps to be selecting the right thumb drive. Yes, I see the selections now. Sorry for the delay. I saw "1" in the title, sigh.
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 10.33.02 PM.jpg

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
In this case, a USB stick (thumb drive) would be simpler to work with, compared to an external drive, particularly for a small task such as this.
(edit) Ah, looks like you have it figured out!

blackxacto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
But why could I not pull the pictures from my iPhoneSE? My home desktop is backed by the cloud, along with photo library. Could it have taken longer than two hours to get two small pictures up to the cloud and synced to all devices?