Trouble getting from 4.1=>5.01 Old 3GS with iPad Baseband

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by forumz, Dec 28, 2011.

1. forumz macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a 3GS with the iPad baseband (phone bought on Bell, using with Telus). I have the 5.0.1 SHSH Blobs saved on Tiny Umbrella and Cydia's Server.

Here's what I've tried:
    - Creating a custom IPSW w/ newest Pwnage Tool, Kept getting 1600 errors. I ran iREB, than re-tried... still no dice. After getting it back to normal via (newest) RedSnow's "Fix Recovery" Option, I tried doing the same with Pwned DFU mode in RedSnow, same outcome

- Tried Tiny Umbrella (Had 5.0.1 SHSH's saved) and the Custom IPSW I made from Pwnage Tool, I end up getting error 11 now. Did some searching and saw I had to remove a certain file from the Firmware Folder in the IPSW, but couldn't find it (even after enabling hidden files/folders). ANY Help would be great, thanks!

2. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Are you running TinyUmbrella when you try to do the restore? If so, that could be what's causing your issue. Since 5.0.1 is the latest software, you don't need the SHSH files or need to run TU.

Make sure your phone is in "pwned DFU" mode and then try restoring to the custom IPSW. If it's still causing problems then you will need to delete the stock IPSW's in the iTunes folder like you mentioned. What operating system are you running?

3. forumz thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ah, I see what you're saying. But I've tried it with and without TinyUmbrella running. I believe I got the 1600 error (which is when I tried iReb).

I've tried Pwned DFU mode as well. Im running Lion, I also have Windows 7 at hand Via BootCamp/Parallels if necessary.

I will soon report back if it worked after I delete the extra IPSW's!

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Even you are restore to customs 5.0.1, this firmware is currently signed by Apple, so you do not need TU to run in the background. So, make sure the hosts file point to Apple server and you are good to go.

5. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

On Lion, it can be a little difficult to find the "iTunes Library" folder with the stock IPSW's. Here's how to find it...

1 - Open Finder
    2 - At the top of the screen select "Go" then click "Go To Folder"
    3 - Type in "~/Library"
    4 - Navigate to /iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
    5 - Delete stock firmwares located in that folder

After you do that, restart your computer and try to restore again. Be sure to not have TU running and you should be good to go.

6. forumz thread starter macrumors newbie

I've gotten it onto 5.0.1, Thank you All! BUT...

It's not Hacktivated! I used a custom IPSW from PwnageTool, so I'm assuming it's already jailbroken. But I knew RedSn0w hacktivates, so I ran that - and it re-jailbroke. Upon booting, it froze at the apple screen. So I re-did the Custom IPSW install, confused what to do to hacktivate it. Any advice would be amazing, thank you.

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

new version of redsn0w will not hactivate your phone. Do you have an original carrier sim? old/inactive sim works as well. You can also borrow it from your friend/co-worker for 2 minutes or so to activate it.

8. forumz thread starter macrumors newbie

Uh oh, no bell sim's on hand. I just chose expert mode in Pwnage Tool and noticed there's an activate phone option. Will that work?

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yes!

10. forumz thread starter macrumors newbie

sigh, I re-Pwned DFU'd it, tried to do the restore with the new IPSW (Hacktivated fia Pwnage Tool)... got error 1600! No Stock Firmwares in sight in the default folder, Hosts file has no Cydia servers. No Tiny Umbrella running. I'm baffled!

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

even TU is not running, can you make sure the 2 boxes in the advance tab uncheck so it points at Apple server?

12. forumz thread starter macrumors newbie

Did what you said and it worked! But, even with the new IPSW, it still needs activation. Am I screwed until I find a Bell SIM?