Trouble getting to DFU mode

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by joshs2000ss, Jan 4, 2011.

1. joshs2000ss macrumors member

Not sure what's going on. I connected my JB'en 3.1.2 iPhone 3Gs to iTunes and follow the proceedure for getting to DFU mode, by powering off, holding home and power for 10 seconds and then releasing the power button for another 10 seconds. iTunes will say that it detects a phone in recovery mode every time. (which is wrong, isn't it?) I can see the device in device manager but not the boot rom info. The iDetector software says it doesn't detect a device.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here?

2. joshs2000ss thread starter macrumors member

iPhone was detected and screen is blank. Sitting now but device manager doesn't show anything resembling the boot rom info and iDetector still doesn't detect a device.

Does this have something to do with the fact that I'm already jailbroken? Do I need to upgrade to 4.2 and then try this before jailbreaking again? If that's the case, can I go back to where I am now (i've done a backup) if I'm on a newer boot rom?

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. joshs2000ss thread starter macrumors member

"iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode, you must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes"

Message that appears in iTunes. My phone screen is blank.

Name: (shows name of device)
    Capacity: n/a
    Software Version: n/a
    Serial Number: n/a

This is the line in device manager under "Device Instance ID" for the Apple Mobile Device USB driver:

USB\VID_05AC&PID_1227\5&1CBDCC8A&0&4

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

6. joshs2000ss thread starter macrumors member

I thought that it was, but now I'm confused as to why I can't get the boot rom info...

Is there another method I can try on a jailbroken phone other than going into DFU and using Device Manager or the iDetector to find the boot rom info.

7. rgarjr, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

There should be a lot more info than just that line.

Here's mine for example on a Mac.

Attached Files:

8. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

There are a couple youtube videos explaining this that are much more helpful than reading a procedure here are.

9. joshs2000ss thread starter macrumors member

I'm on a PC, for now, but that shouldn't affect being able to find the device's boot rom.

10. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

The iPhone presents as a good handful of different devices as it is booting, being reset, etc. I found this out when I was trying to use VirtualBox and Parallels to run the Windows version of limera1n. I swear I must have told it to connect 4 or 5 distinct devices to the virtual machine when I was trying to get it into DFU (including DFU/Restore/iPhone/etc). I think it presented even as a different device when it was just booting and in a state between boot and DFU. One or two of the devices only "existed" for a second, so ultimately I was unable to get limera1n to work through a VM.