Trouble getting used to Magic Mouse

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BasilFawlty, Jul 11, 2011.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

As a long-time PC used, I recently bought a 27 in. i5 iMac and decided to get both the track pad and the Magic Mouse. This is because I wanted to install Win7 under Bootcamp and had heard that the track pad doesn't work under Win 7 (it doesn't, but Magic Mouse does). Anyway, am I the only one who has trouble getting used to the Magic Mouse? It seems that when I'm surfing, for example, the slightest touch and the page I'm viewing scrolls up or down when I don't want it to. I find I can't rest my hand on the mouse the way you do with a regular mouse and I fond it difficult to get use to either having to keep my fingers up out of the way, or else keep then on teh mouse without moving. Either way doesn't feel "natual." Just wondering if others have had similar experience with MM?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Other than starting a pity party, what is the point of this thread? If you don't like the MM, sell it and buy a real mouse.

3. JeepGuy macrumors regular

I gave up, on the MM I do CAD work all day, and nothing beats a good mouse and a scroll wheel.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Mice are really a personal thing.

Some people love the MM, others hate it. You could just get a regular mouse instead...

Have you tweaked all the settings?

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I used the MM for about a year, pretty mouse but my fingers never got used to it. Got a Razer Orochi and love it.

6. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Mate, there is all bunch of apps which you can use to "tame the MM", such as Magic prefs, BetterTouchTool etc.

Having said that, I bloody hate the MM.. After some 8 months of trying "get on with the programme" I pulled the batteries out and stopped using it.

With MM you either love it, or you hate it... such is life :)

7. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I use both the magic mouse and the trackpad. I like the mouse a little bit more than the trackpad. But I do not hate the trackpad. I think that it is a good idea to make the most out of both of them.

8. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Not sure what your problem is - I was just curious if others found the MM difficult to get used to. WTF is all this pity party crap? I have both the trac pad and the MM and yes, I know if I can't get used to MM I can swap it for a regular mouse, but since I paid $69 for it, I'm hoping it's just a matter of time to get used to it. Being new to iMAC and this forum, I was just asking an innocent, honest question - period. Not looking for pity thank you very much. Geesh!

9. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Thanks, I'll look into those. Only had an iMac for a few days so lots to learn - thanks for the tip. I have both MAC OS and WIN 7 and find I prefer using the Trac Pad when in MAC OS, but use the MM only when I'm in WIN7 (TRAC PAD doesn't work on WIN7 - at least not out of the box).

10. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

The trackpad does work for me in terms of basic use in Windows 7. If thats what you mean, have you installed the Bootcamp drivers, or turned on the trackpad? I noticed for me it doesn't automatically register on Windows like it does for Mac. Also, if you really don't like the magic mouse (I don't really, I got the trackpad instead) return the entire thing and get one with just the trackpad. I know its hassle but there's no point in having the mouse if it doesn't suit you. Best thing to do is to try it out a bit more and see what you think.

11. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Well, I'm not ready to toss it just yet. I'm willing to give it some time to get used to it. As for the bootcamp drivers for Trackpad, I'm not sure how that works? I just used the Boot Camp assistant to partition my drive and install WIN7. Is there something else I need to install on the Windows Side to get the Track Pad to work? What and where can I get it? If I can get the Track Pad to work well on Win7 I might give the MM to my wife (she has has an iMac for about a year now).

12. Kendo macrumors 68000

Is it the Magic Mouse that works terrible in Boot Camp or in OS X? I can't imagine the Multi-Touch working well with Windows drivers. It works good enough in OS X but my setup involves the Magic Trackpad and a Logitech gaming mouse. Best combination in my opinion.

13. Spike88, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

MM isn't for everyone. If it doesn't feel good in your hands (due to larger hands or ???), then use a normal USB wired mouse. There's lots of different wired mice around. Some large, some curved, some smaller, etc. Luckily, most USB wired mice can be used with iMacs. Especially if it has the "univeral" label on its packaging...

Good luck.

14. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Maybe I'm a bit bias, but I don't try or pretend to love Magic Mouse. One hour trial and that's it, no second chance whatsoever. So I ordered my iMac with Magic TrackPad instead, and get a decent Logitech wired mouse for mousing time :p

Magic Mouse ain't quite a magic for me too, so don't bother if you don't like it too, sell it, put the money on Magic TrackPad, or if you don't like that either, get yourself a gaming mouse. Should be perfect for accuracy and all.

15. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Axed both the wireless mouse and keyboard. I didn't like the lack of numeric keypad and the magic mouse behaved badly in certain programs like final cut.

16. krzykat macrumors newbie

Once I got used to the MM, I love it. My favorite is swiping across to move forward or back. It does have a bit of a learning curve and I can see how it is not for everyone. Honestly when I use our PCs and normal mice at work, there are times when I miss the functions of swiping my fingers to navigate.

17. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

It took me a bit to get used to but no I really like the gestures on the MM. So much that I find myself trying to use the gestures while I'm at work on a Windows mouse.... Actually it's more like a rat with as large as it is :(

18. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I have the MM, Trackpad and wired mouse

I use wired mouse 99% of the time

19. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Not crazy about MM and stopped using it. For me its to small and as you say to sensitive to movement. I prefer a good Logitech mouse.
    Unfortunate for us Mac users that don't like it as the multi-touch technology is cool but when using Apple OS and Bootcamp a regular (or gaming) mouse makes more sense.

20. MACza macrumors member

yep - I could also not get used to the MM. I wanted to, it is a thing of beauty, but just terrible w.r.t. ergonomics and normal use. Replaced it with a Logitech mouse and now very happy, EXCEPT for the issue that inertial scrolling now does not work anymore!

I would like for inertia scrolling to work with my Logitech - does anybody know how to enable it for a "normal" mouse?

Thanks!

21. MACza, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

MACza macrumors member

yep - I could also not get used to the MM. I wanted to, it is a thing of beauty, but just terrible w.r.t. ergonomics and normal use. Replaced it with a Logitech mouse and now very happy, EXCEPT for the issue that inertial scrolling now does not work anymore!

I would like for inertia scrolling to work with my Logitech - does anybody know how to enable it for a "normal" mouse?

Thanks!

EDIT: Apologies for the duplicate - admins, please delete, had a glitch with my connection. I can't see an option to delete a post...??

22. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Did you not get a window like the one attached?

Attached Files:

23. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

I love, love, LOVE my magic mouse! But I have small hands and I find it very comfortable and fits me perfectly. Mice are one thing where one size does not fit all however, if it's not comfortable now it is never going to be, just buy another mouse.

24. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

If you have Magic TrackPad too, most likely you're gonna love it MORE :p

25. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I was initially worried I wouldn't like the Magic Mouse, but after a week I got used to it.