Trouble Hooking mac mini up to hdtv

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by travisjacques, Jul 8, 2009.

1. travisjacques macrumors member

May 12, 2009
    I tried hooking my mac mini up to my samsung HDTV (VGA cable) and it worked at first, but the picture wasn't the resolution i liked so i decided to change it. I ended up changing it to a resolution that wasnt supported (woops). Now when i plug it into the TV, the desktop shows up momentarily and then the TV flashes "Mode not supported". Is there any way to remedy this? i tried hooking up my 20" computer monitor but you can only change the settings for that specific monitor. Would another input option help? I'm lost.
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    You should be able to boot with a different resolution by holding down the Shift key when the computer starts, to get into Safe Mode. At that point you can set it to a supported resolution, which should stick through a reboot.

If that doesn't work, reset PRAM first (command-option-P-R on boot until it chimes a couple of times) to get a default resolution, THEN hold down shift.

Incidentally, if your TV has an HDMI input port, you should get better quality using a DVI-HDMI cable to hook your Mini up. That's how I run my similar setup.
  3. travisjacques thread starter macrumors member

May 12, 2009
    Great advice. I will try both of these methods today when i get home from work. Thank you
  4. iAlexG macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2009
    Florida, Missing Britain.
    DVI would be better as VGA = Analog signal and DVI = Digital signal. But i u want to use a HDMI adapter and you want sound you would need this
    Unless you don't want sound or have already got something similar