Trouble importing from Canon HG10 to imovie 08

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DingerSox, Dec 22, 2007.

1. DingerSox macrumors newbie

Hi, I am having trouble importing video from my canon hg10 to imovie 08. When I try to import video imovie 08 tells me my camera is not connected even though it is. The canon hdd appears on the desktop. I have an intel core duo mac mini and have updated imovie 08 to v. 7.1. Any ideas would be much appreciated, Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. DingerSox thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. The software they provide for macs only seems to be related to the still photos that the camera can take.

4. DingerSox thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured it out. I had to initialize the hard drive on the camera in order fro it to work.

5. bownbuck macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, if I initialize the camera HD will I lose the video thats already on there?

6. Wino macrumors newbie

Same Issue

Hey thanks for the info. I am having the same issue. Will the video I already took get erased when I initialize? Thanks so much for posting this. I've been messing around with this camera on and off for a month trying to figure it out. Even called mac customer support and they had no idea why it was not working!

out-

7. BIG N macrumors newbie

same Problem

what is it with these user manuals!!!
    i have an HG10 same problems - i have downloaded the 1 disc i think is an apple application then taken a few bits of movies - nothing important!(just to test) tried to do an i movie -all i can get is a jpeg of the first frames!! so initialised the camera disc as suggested -thanks :apple:(lost the movies - no problem with that) took another short movie -same problem any suggestions by the way no sd card or stills installed yet - i want to do movies:apple:

8. Wino macrumors newbie

Intel based Mac

I fomatted the hg10 hard drive. The when I went to plug in the camara to my mac using the new IMovie I got an error that said I have to have an intel based mac? Has anyone seen this? I have a G5. It is the year right before they switched to the intel based mac.

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

iMovie'08 only supports AVCHD on Intel Macs only. The G5 won't work using iMovie alone.

You'll need something like Voltaic to download the files and convert it to AIC for use in iMovie ('08 or HD).

If you can, you might want to consider returning the HG10 and getting an HV20. It's HDV (which will work fine on your G5), but it's tape-based, not HDD based. Or you can get a new Mac. ;)