Trouble importing QT file into FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iphonerules, May 7, 2008.

1. iphonerules macrumors newbie

I am running FCP 4.5 on Mac OS 10.3.9. Using QT 7.4

So it goes without saying I use Quicktime files all the time. I export from FCP to QT .mov all the time.

But what I don't understand is why I frequently have trouble importing a Quicktime file into FCP 4.5. Often its a file someone else sends me.

I've tried both the official 'import' function and drag and drop...

If I do drag and drop, I get an error saying, "File error: Unknown file."

If I try import / file I get an error saying, "File error: 1 file(s) recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown."

Is the frame rate a problem? The file 'movie properties' says video is H.264

Sometimes I will convert the file to another format and then I can import it fine into QT.

But this doesn't make sense to me.

What gives?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Some codecs FCP just doesn't like, but you are also using a very old version of FCP that lacks support for many newer codecs.

Lethal

3. -DH macrumors 65816

What gives is that not all QuickTime files are equal. The QuickTime .mov format is merely a wrapper or container that could contain any number of codecs. And you obvisously don't have support for some of those codecs in your older version of FCP. FCP 4.5 works best with QT 6.5.2 and as far as I know, isn't supported with QT versions higher than that.

-DH