Trouble installing 64-bit vista on my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jmac10, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Jmac10 macrumors newbie

Hi, i have been using my new mac pro for just over a month now with snow leopard and 32-bit vista installed successfully. I have decided i would be stupid not to take advantage of my computers hardware and get the 64-bit edition of Vista, especially because of the rendering and 3D software i use. My hard drive has already been partitioned using bootcamp so i could install the 32-bit version of vista, but when i try to use the same method again for the 64-bit edition it tells me i cant for this reason. I would like to have Snow leopard, 32-bit Vista and 64-bit Vista installed on the same hard drive at once for various reasons.

I am aware that disk utility can do the same thing manually but i do not want to use the 'trial and error' method i usually use because of the work on my hard drive :)

Could some one please explain how i can achieve this???

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Triple booting your Mac on one HDD is not an install that there is a nice installer to hold your hand through the process. You will either have to get your hands dirty or try another approach.

You have a Mac Pro. You are not bound to a single internal drive. The easiest way is to add a HDD for each OS, or at least for the third one.

B

3. Jmac10 thread starter macrumors newbie

New HDD

Yeah i was kinda expecting that... :)

Ive already had a look at some new hard drives and western digital looks good.

This is the link to the WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA Drive...Tell me what u think...

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=488

i found this site which was linked under where to buy on the same page which sells them for $117, isnt this REALLY cheap???

http://www.ple.com.au/?p=snapshot&inventory_id=35351

Also will this work in my mac pro? (remembering i would like to install vista 64-bit on it)

Thanks for your help:)