Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sierra722

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Hi and thanks in advance for any help!

I recently acquired a PPC G5 and I am trying to bring it back to life. I purchased a brand new Western Digital Drive and Leopard install discs, but the computer will not recognize the drive in either the install program or in disk utility. The only thing it recognizes is the CD/DVD drive and the Install disk inside of it. I tried booting up several ways, and rechecked my connections.

I read something about western digital drives and possibly needing to chang the jumper settings... but i dont know how to do this and i dont want to dive into that just yet if theres a better solution.

THANKS!

iLucas

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2011
Indiana
Hi and thanks in advance for any help!

I recently acquired a PPC G5 and I am trying to bring it back to life. I purchased a brand new Western Digital Drive and Leopard install discs, but the computer will not recognize the drive in either the install program or in disk utility. The only thing it recognizes is the CD/DVD drive and the Install disk inside of it. I tried booting up several ways, and rechecked my connections.

I read something about western digital drives and possibly needing to chang the jumper settings... but i dont know how to do this and i dont want to dive into that just yet if theres a better solution.

THANKS!

The settings on the drive and the cd drive cannot be the same jumper settings.
You have to set the Hard drive to master, which is MA on the drive see

jumper_setting.jpg

and set the cd drive to slave. Use tweezers to move the little jumper around

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
The settings on the drive and the cd drive cannot be the same jumper settings.
You have to set the Hard drive to master, which is MA on the drive see

and set the cd drive to slave. Use tweezers to move the little jumper around

If it has sata drives, there isn't slave/master settings. To slow it down from sata2 to sata1, the jumper should be on 5 and 6. That would be the second set from the right, on a WD drive.

Last edited:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
All the G5 towers use SATA for the hard drives and ATA/100 for optical. As stroked mentions there are no master/slave settings for any type of SATA.

Many of the newer SATA 3 need to be jumpered to SATA 2 setting to work on SATA 1 which is what the G5's have and this is also what I had to do with my SATA 3 drive on my SATA 1 PCI card. If it's a SATA 2 drive then set the jumpers it to SATA 1. Virtually every hard drive made has the settings on the drive label.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
All the G5 towers use SATA for the hard drives and ATA/100 for optical. As stroked mentions there are no master/slave settings for any type of SATA.

Many of the newer SATA 3 need to be jumpered to SATA 2 setting to work on SATA 1 which is what the G5's have and this is also what I had to do with my SATA 3 drive on my SATA 1 PCI card. If it's a SATA 2 drive then set the jumpers it to SATA 1. Virtually every hard drive made has the settings on the drive label.

And, to add to this, if the jumpers configs are not mentioned on the drive itself, it is definately in on the documentation/box. ;)

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Also, to the original poster, your computer is a PowerMac G5. PPC means PowerPC, which is the type of processor.

The iMac was G5 as well, and could qualify as a PPC G5 computer.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Also, to the original poster, your computer is a PowerMac G5. PPC means PowerPC, which is the type of processor.

The iMac was G5 as well, and could qualify as a PPC G5 computer.

Not sure how this info helps at all. This person obviously has a G5 tower if they can easily install the drive in the case and also recheck the connections.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Not sure how this info helps at all. This person obviously has a G5 tower if they can easily install the drive in the case and also recheck the connections.

I was simply informing them of the terminology for them to use (in the friendliest manner possible) in future posts that may not be so clear as to what computer they're talking about.

My apologies.

sierra722

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Pins 5-6 were correct! Leopard is installing now. I had never gotten this far, so thanks to everyone for the input... truly appreciated.

And yes, I am aware that PPC refers to the processor... the fact that this is the older generation machine and not the newer Intel based model... was already creating obstacles for me so i figured id mention that...

thanks again!

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I was simply informing them of the terminology for them to use (in the friendliest manner possible) in future posts that may not be so clear as to what computer they're talking about.

My apologies.

No need to apologize at all :)

My point was simply that it didn't help with the problem at hand and when you throw non-pertinent info in the mix it just confuses things.

I apologize for giving you the feeling you needed to apologize in the first place.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Pins 5-6 were correct! Leopard is installing now. I had never gotten this far, so thanks to everyone for the input... truly appreciated.

And yes, I am aware that PPC refers to the processor... the fact that this is the older generation machine and not the newer Intel based model... was already creating obstacles for me so i figured id mention that...

thanks again!

Glad you got it sorted out. The one good thing about having an issue to sort out is that you then learn how to deal with that issue in the future. I have been a hardcore computer user since 1991 or so and learned every single thing I know from trial and error. Also asking for help when needed of course.

BTW.. is your drive a black model? Meaning the label is black on white as opposed to green or blue on white. If so it will be very fast. I use the 1TB black SATA 3 model jumpered down to SATA 2 on my G4 as the boot drive. Its very fast even on that old system.

sierra722

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Its actually a caviar blue model. SATA-6Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200rpm. Is there much difference between the black and the blue models?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.