Trouble installing new hdd on my macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by asphyxiafeeling, Jun 10, 2010.

1. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

hey folks, I've searched about & struggled for two days with this to no luck, so I'm coming here for help.

I own a late 2008 aluminum macbook, with the stock 160gb Hitachi HD. I've just recently purchased a WD Scorpio Blue 500GB HD to replace it, as well as an Apricorn USB-SATA interface to clone with.

here are the products, if it's important.

APRICORN- http://tinyurl.com/l6opl4

WD HD- http://tinyurl.com/248nrr9

I boot up,

hook up my new HD via the Apricorn USB cable, run disk utility, format the new drive as "mac os extended (journaled)",

run SuperDuper! (cloning software) and clone all of my files from the stock HD to the new one using the feature "backup - all files". This is SUPPOSED to make a perfect clone of the HD, including making it bootable!

this takes a few hours.

once this is done, I'm stuck.

If i try booting from the new drive, I don't get past the grey apple logo. hmm. try booting into safe mode; doesn't work.

boot from my old drive, run disk utility, try to verify/repair permissions on the new drive (still hooked up via USB SATA) and always get this error: "The underlying task reported failure on exit".

I've tried switching the new drive into my mac, and booting from the old drive VIA the USB, and trying everything again. no luck. I've tried erasing, reformatting, and recloning. no luck.

I may be missing a critical step in the middle of all of this. Maybe some of you can help? this is my first time trying to replace a notebook hard drive, so far it's been a bit of a headache!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. asphyxiafeeling thread starter macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

Partition Map Scheme is "GUID Partition Table", as it should be, right?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's right.

Have you taken a look at this?
    Mac doesn't boot

Did that help?

5. jim.lynch macrumors member

Can you still access all your old files on the old drive? If so, try this:

1) Install OS X freshly from install DVD onto the new drive in your MacBook.
    2) Connect the old drive (via FireWire) and use Migration Assistant to copy your old profile and files over.