Trouble Installing OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Thrifty05, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Thrifty05 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I'm a newbie here and could really use your help. I've combed through your forums but am still uncertain what to do about my situation.

I have an Apple-refurbished MacBook2,1 that I received from my father a while back. I think it came installed with Tiger 10.4.8 (says Wikipedia), but we no longer have the install disc. I recently tried to install Leopard 10.5.? from a DVD that was copied off a friend's computer. Apparently, the disc was either corrupted or incomplete, and the installation wouldn't go through due to a missing file. However, after I rebooted, it appeared that Leopard was somewhat installed. The screen was blue, I could see the dock, airport status, and clock, etc, and I could access some applications, but nothing from Finder.

Since then, I've tried installing with an authentic Tiger 10.4.7 install disc that came with my iMac, and an authentic Leopard 10.5.5 disc that came with a newer MacBook belonging to a friend. Both times resulted in the alert "MAC OS X CANNOT INSTALL ON THIS COMPUTER." I have also tried remote installation with my iMac and a firewire, but that doesn't seem to work either. I finally decided to zero out the hard drive and try again, but that doesn't work.

I see that the blue screen is a common problem, but people seem to have a wide range of reasons for getting there, and offer completely different advice. How can I get some form of OS X running again so I can make the computer functional again?

Thank you,
    -Nathan

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You can't use install discs from other Mac's. If you lost your discs for your MacBook, call Apple and they can send you the appropriate install discs for your computer. If not then you will need to get a RETAIL version of Leopard (if you're lucky) or Snow Leopard.

3. Thrifty05 thread starter macrumors newbie