Trouble installing OSX on G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Shawn D, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Shawn D macrumors regular

Ok, So I have a G4 PowerMac desktop that has a 1ghz CPU and 512mb of ram and a DVD Drive, When I go to install Tiger or Panther, (It doesn't seem to like either) it just gets stuck at the grey apple screen after I boot from the cd, Going no where beyond that point and I am not sure what to do..

Any help would be much appreciated. I searched and didnt find anything that would help so far.

Thanks in advance!!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Shawn D thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick response! :) How would I go about resetting those?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Check again, I edited it to include the links.

5. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Make sure your CD is okay first.
    I hope they're legit copies.
    If so, then just try resetting like the previous poster said.
    Good luck!

6. Shawn D thread starter macrumors regular

They are legit copies that weren't cheap so that is why I am upset they are not functioning properly..

Ok, I reset everything but now I just get a blank grey screen and then the monitor shuts off... :( I have no clue what the issue is.

7. Shawn D thread starter macrumors regular

anyone have any clue? I have reset the PRAM twice and to no avail.

8. jwdawso macrumors regular

jwdawso

start in verbose mode

Start in verbose mode by using Command-v and tell us what it hangs on.

9. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

The DVD drive is known good? The computer usually works? If so, my suggestion would be that there is something wrong with the disks. It's always hard to be 100% sure unless you can test them on another Mac.

Wait, you say you have two different sets. Probably not the disks then. Some computer problem - what have you been using it for recently?

10. Shawn D thread starter macrumors regular

I bought the computer on craigslist and the seller said it needed OSX installed.. the drive works as far as I know.. and I just used the panther cd's so I know thats not it.

11. Shawn D thread starter macrumors regular

alright, i can't boot into cmd-v it does nothing.. just boots and shows the file ? logo

12. pwrmacg4 macrumors newbie

I upgraded mine from Panther and I believe I had the same issue.

I know if you get the "Globe" icon on bootup, you need a new PRAM battery. I had to reset the PRAM quite a few times to get it to boot. If your discs are burned correctly [or original copies], I'm not sure what the problem could be. I think it might be a filesystem error.

You could always try holding "option" while booting and it should take you to a screen with all of the bootable devices. You can choose the HDD or OS X Install DVD from there, but then again, that might lead you to the same issue.