Trouble installing OSX (powerbook G4)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by masse, May 27, 2007.

1. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I just got a powerbook G4 and I need to install OSX panther on it.

I booted from the disc and followed the logical steps but get to "select a volume" and I get the red ! and it says I cannot install on this volume.

It's a 60 gb internal hard drive formatted with one partition for osx extended (journaled).

No matter what I do in disk utility I can't seem to figure this out and I'm new to mac's. I've searched the internet for a little while but now have to go to work and want to try to fix it tonight.

Sorry about the bad grammar.

2. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Sounds like the computer previously had a copy of Tiger on it and that the computer had firmware updates, etc. ran with Tiger installed the laptop. I would try to get a copy of Tiger for PPC and see if that works. I had this problem with laptops at the school district I worked for where a newer OS was loaded on the Mac laptop and it would not let you go back to a previous version. Hope this will help you out there.

3. spyderracer393 macrumors regular

yes...it does sound like tiger was installed on it. rather than going out and purchasing tiger, you could install panther on it.

to do this, when you are in the installer and it shows up as red for your HD, click install options at the bottom, and then chagne to erase and install — this should work.

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

That could work, but like was previously stated, if there was firmware updates it may not, and he may be stuck with tiger.

5. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

I see...I guess I'll have to get a copy of tiger...

Good thing I didn't hit the send button. I just turned it on again without it plugged into the wall and it worked fine??

Go figure. I zeroed the hard disk while I was at work, maybe that helped.

Thanks for helping out with my frantic questioning. I was so excited to get it working.

I'm so happy.

6. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

Oh one more thing.

My friend said there was a battery recall on it...something about it bursting into flames. He said he never got it because it kept his testes warm, but I think I might want to do that especially if I'm going to sell it later.

How would I go about getting the recall?

7. epiphany macrumors regular

battery recall

This would be a different thread, but..:rolleyes:
    https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/

8. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

Wow I love this thing. I only wish it had more ram (256mb).

I'll be upgrading it by the end of the week. Not sure if I'm going to need 2 gb or if 1 gb is fine.. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks for the battery exchange thing. I was just too lazy to look you shouldn't have done it for me but for that I thank you.

man this keyboard is awesome...although the edge does cut my wrists..

i also wish this thing had 2 finger scroling

9. epiphany macrumors regular

eh-heh

The battery recall is at the bottom of the Apple.com home page, for months now, so no biggie there.
    And, Lucky you - I'm a big-time enabler.
    So, as for the RAM:
    http://dealnews.com/memory/prices/s...z-PC2700-PC2700-DDR-SO-DIMMs/23073/512MB.html

I've also never had any problem with the memory from these guys:
    http://www.macramfinder.com/apple-p...book-g4-1-67ghz-memory-m8980ll-a-15-inch.html

Get used to the standard answer as to the amount of RAM - as much as you can afford and depending on uses. :) But really, good enuf for the G4 is probably 1 Gig.

10. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

Hey thanks. I was going to get the ram through newegg. I can get 2x512mb pc2700 200pinn for $70 USD. 2x1gb is more like 160 USD.

I need a small external hard drive also. I'll probably just go with 1 gb which should be enough to run CS3 etc. The resell value might be greater with 2gb though.

11. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

Just ordered 1 gb of ram and a 500 gb external hard drive.

I know someone with a OSX tiger copy that he isn't currently using. Anyone think that would be worth it at all?

12. epiphany macrumors regular

why not?

If you wanna run widgets, or get updates for Safari, or run certain newer peripherals, I don't see why you wouldn't want the newer version, if it's cheap or free. I'm running Panther on a Ti Book (550Mhz), and every so often I wish I had Tiger. But, I'm saving my dough for June...