Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnmcgraw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I have a MacBook that I'm trying to install Photoshop 4.0 on but I keep getting an error at the "finishing installation" step. It says "An error occurred during the installation process: a required file is missing."

I logged out/back in as administrator and repaired disk permission but I thinking this has to do with the way my hard drive is formatted from the switch from my Powerbook. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to install Photoshop 4.0 on a Macbook, as it would require a previous version of the OS...

Perhaps you're talking about Photoshop ELEMENTS?

cnmcgraw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to install Photoshop 4.0 on a Macbook, as it would require a previous version of the OS...

Perhaps you're talking about Photoshop ELEMENTS?

yeah, sorry, it is Elements

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
are you installing an upgrade version onto a computer that doesn't already have the previous version installed?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Nope, this is the first time I'm installing any Photoshop software

yeah, that's what I figured.....but are you sure that you aren't using an upgrade installer disk instead of a full retail install disk? Photoshop, and I would guess Elements might do the same, installs some helper files in a different location than the applications folder so if you just run an upgrade installer, or try copying the program over from another computer, it wont find the helper files and that might be what's causing your problems.........or not :)

cnmcgraw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
yeah, that's what I figured.....but are you sure that you aren't using an upgrade installer disk instead of a full retail install disk? Photoshop, and I would guess Elements might do the same, installs some helper files in a different location than the applications folder so if you just run an upgrade installer, or try copying the program over from another computer, it wont find the helper files and that might be what's causing your problems.........or not :)

hmmm...it is the full retail version. I'll just try playing with it more :rolleyes:

Thank you for responding anyways :)

cnmcgraw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Is the disc clean - I have had problems in the past installing from dirty discs.

I think so, I'll try cleaning it though. It's been a headache, but if it's just a dirty disk I'll be a happy camper :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.