Trouble installing Photosmart 7550

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kadjar, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Kadjar macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm brand new to OS X, and I'm trying to set up my printer with my new iMac.

I am running 10.4

I downloaded and installed the necessary software from HP. After installation, it entered a setup assistant. The setup assistant had a couple of steps:

1. Launch Printer Setup Utility by clicking the button below (done)

2. Click Add Printer (done)

This takes me to the Printer Browser. In this screen, I have "Default Browser" selected, and in the main table, I can see my printer (HP Photosmart 7550) with a USB connection. If I click this printer, the name and location boxes are automatically filled in, but "Print Using" is left blank. If I click the drop down menu, I can scroll down and find HP. Unfortunately, my printer (or any photosmart printer) is not included in the list.

3. Click on "More Printers...". Select "hp photosmart" in the drop-down list.

This brings me to a small popup with several options. The first is a drop down menu which has defaulted to "Windows Printing." The other options include AppleTalk, Bluetooth and others. Beneath this is a second drop down menu, which has defaulted to the "workgroup" option. There is an empty box, a grayed out Printer Model drop down, and that is all.

I cannot proceed past this point, and am altogether stumped. I have tried numerous things, including installing the newest version of Gutenprint and following the instructions therein. This leads me to the exact same dead end.

Help please? :(

2. Kadjar thread starter macrumors newbie

I just installed Foomatic/HPijs, and it detected that driver!

However, when I try to print, I get an error message:

"The process "foomatic-rip" stopped unexpectedly with status 255.

Help! :mad:

3. Cindy S macrumors newbie

HP Photosmart 7550

Did you ever figure out how to set up this printer with Mac? I have the exact same problem and parameters. Thanks.