Nevalite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Hello Everyone,

From what I can tell this seems to be a common issue but I can't seem to find a concrete solution. Here is my situation:

Hardware:
Early 2011 Macbook Pro
Curical M5 SSD
500GB HDD in Optibay

I have removed my optical drive in order to install a new SSD in my MBP and I have place the old HDD in the place of the optical drive.

I have installed OS X Mavericks on my SSD. I also have my old OS X Lion installed on the 500gb hard drive as a backup until I get this all sorted out.

I tried to use bootcamp assistant to install windows 7 on my SSD but the option to make the bootable USB was no there. I used a guide to modify the info.plist file in order to get the USB option back. I used the bootcamp assistant to create a bootable windows 7 USB.

After the system restarts and it tries to boot from the USB I get the message "no bootable media found".

If I hold down the option/alt key to force it to boot from the USB, the USB device is not listed.

I tried installing rEFIT in order to force it to boot from the USB but I get the same message of "no bootable media".

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

How do I install windows 7 off a USB?

Thank you!

Nevalite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
You can't.

Why do you say that? I know it can be done I just can't seem to figure out a good technique.

It must be done for the MacBook Air since there is no optical drive to begin with.

I am thinking that I might just remove the optibay, put the old optical drive back in, install windows on my new sad and then re-install the optibay...

Round about way of doing it but from what I can tell it is the only simple way of doing it.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Basically if your Mac came with a dvd drive then you have to use that to install Windows. Some people have had limited success getting such Macs to boot from a USB device using hacks.

Comment

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Trouble installing Windows 7 from USB using bootcamp. (No optical drive)

Why do you say that? I know it can be done I just can't seem to figure out a good technique.

It must be done for the MacBook Air since there is no optical drive to begin with.

It's a firmware limitation. The only method I have seen that works with even a slight degree of success involves using VMWare Fusion and some hacks. I have tried every method I know of to make this work and in the end, it took me less time to swap the optical drive in and out of the system. I ultimately purchased a high capacity SSD so I never need to do that.

Comment

Nevalite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
I went ahead and uninstalled the optibay, re-installed the optical drive, installed windows off the DVD to my new SSD, re-installed the optibay HDD.

Slightly tedious but it worked.

Thanks for the information.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.