Trouble logging and transferring avchd video in Premiere CS5

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Luis Ortega, May 29, 2010.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I was used to the firewire, mini-dv tape capture process, but have been confused about how to import my video footage from an AVCHD camcorder into Premiere Pro CS5 on my mac.
    The capture window doesn't work with the camcoder connected by USB or with the memory card from the camera in a USB card reader.
    When I use Final Cut Pro it has a log and transfer option that opens a window where all of the clips from the camcorder or the memory card are shown and you can preview the clips and even set in/out points on the clips before deciding which ones to import and how much of each clip to import. This can save hard disk space by not copying over useless footage.
    That was the way that the capture worked with firewire also, with both Premiere Pro and FCP, and I'm surprised that this functionality is not available with avchd files in this version of Premiere for the mac.
    How can I preview the video footage and select which clips to import or set in/out points in Premiere Pro CS5?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. dowwilson macrumors newbie

Log & Transfer

Did you ever figure this out?

3. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

You wouldn't capture this video, you just need to import the video into Premiere Pro. First, copy the contents of the camera HD to your computer's HD (ideally, a separate media drive). Then, use the Media Browser to import the footage you need. Here, you can decide which clips to import. Load the clip into the Source monitor to set in and out points.