Trouble making bill payments online with checking account.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMJustAGuy, Jan 19, 2010.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I am trying to make a payment online and the only services they allow payment by is mailed checks, over telephone (for $12 fee), or by your checking account. I wanted to use my checking account so I put my routing number and my checking number in where it asked and it automatically recognized my bank. Now I went to the payment page and it asks for the amount I want to pay and my check numer. I don't have checks and I tried submitting it, leaving it blank and it said a number is required. I tried a 0 and that wouldn't work either. What do I do? I pay plenty of other bills with a direct account withdrawl... :confused::eek::mad:

2. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

link a paypal account to your checking account. done.

3. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

how do you do that? I DO have a paypal. Also, does it cost? (fee through paypal?)

EDIT: I think they are linked, how do I go about the whole check thing? Thanks in advanced.

4. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Assuming your bank is part of the 21st century, they should have online bill pay, typically free. Rather than giving your account # to each of your creditors, keep it with the bank and let them pay the bills.......Problem solved.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I have a card that is exactly like this (might even be the same place). You can't use zero because checks numbered zero don't exist. Start with a dummy number of 1000 and just increase it by one every time you pay the bill.

This is essentially what they would do if you called in and did the check by phone. They would just use a really high check number that you aren't likely to use. But, since you don't use checks you shouldn't run into the problem of pushing through two checks of the same number, so you would be OK to use a lower number like 1000.

6. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Thanks so much for the help. It worked. Is yours 1FBUSA (1st Financial Bank)?