Trouble making calls on 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DrDanH, Oct 29, 2011.

1. DrDanH macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

We upgraded to two iPhone 4Ss and both have the same problem: About 1 out of 4 outgoing calls do not initiate properly. The display looks like the call is going through (seconds counting, etc.), but the person receiving the call cannot hear or be heard by the caller. The second call usually goes through, but at times a restart is needed in order to make the call.

I called AT&T yesterday and was advised to exchange both handsets.

Anyone else having this problem?

2. DrDanH thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

A little more info: At some of the times when the call does not seem to allow you to hear anything or be heard, activating the speakerphone allows you to hear and be heard by the person you are calling.

Anyone else having this issue?

3. cdylanmr macrumors newbie

cdylanmr

I'm having the same exact issue. It is a real pain in the ass to have to keep looking at your phone if you don't heat a ring, especially while driving a manual car.

I called Apple Support and they had me do a "hard restart". After, I was unable to recreate the issue so I thought it fixed it. Nope, still have the same issue. I'm actually waiting on the phone right now to talk to Apple.

I will post again after I talk to them.

4. DrDanH thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be interested in hearing what they tell you. I have a support call scheduled for 5pm today. Both my wife and I upgraded from the 3GS to the 4S, and both are having the same problem. :(

I am hoping that it is something they can fix with an OS update, since the phones were bought at two different stores (mine-Best Buy; hers-Sam's Club because she wanted white).

Thanks for your reply!

5. cdylanmr macrumors newbie

cdylanmr

After talking on the phone with Apple for about 2 hours. They had me buckup the phone through iTunes and restore it as a new phone. So nothing was on the phone, just iOS 5. Signed into iCloud to get my contacts so that I could make test calls. I made the first call without any issues. The second call I was able to recreate the issue. Also, noticed it had a weird echo when I talked during the issue. So the senior adviser determined it was and issue with the phone and not the software. I have an appointment today to have the phone replace.

I was really hoping it was a software issue too. Don't want a "refurbished" phone or whatever they want to call it.

6. Wheeler macrumors member

My wife is having a similar issue on her 4 since installing ios5- so looking like a software issue

7. PPFee macrumors 6502

Im not up to date on all the policies so excuse me if the answer if obvious, but why would you have to worry about getting a refurb'd phone as a replacement for a new 4s?

8. cdylanmr macrumors newbie

cdylanmr

When you buy an device from a company like Apple(that pride themselves on having and make the best products), with your hard earned money, you have a high expectation for that product.

Now when Apple determines the devise, that is in perfect condition, they sold you is defective. You would expect to receive another device in perfect condition. But instead they give you one that didn't pass quality control for them to sell. Not refurbished, my bad.

Case in point. Not until I got home to restore the replacement phone from backup, I noticed a gouge/scratch across the top of the casing in between the on/off and the headphone minijack.

I take care of my iPhones and fully protect them from possible damage so that I can prolong the value of them.

It doesn't make sense that I have to be the one that more or less gets screwed on this instead of them taking responsibility. They gave me another Power Support front screen protector, but not the back screen protect because they don't sell the 3pc. pack. Power Support was very easy to deal with and are sending me a replacement.

Come on Apple, take some responsibility.

9. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Had the identical problem.

Took to Apple Genius bar and they confirmed the problem and gave me new phone, which is fine.

10. PPFee macrumors 6502

Did you even read the question i asked when you replied with the above rant? Am i to understand that apple policy dictates that within the return period an eligible exchange can only be replaced with a refurb/ or deficient in any way phone. This is what your implying. Do you believe that that is their policy? Thats nonsense. Return it for a NEW phone, or simply return it for your money. If you don't want to do that than fine but what the crap is all the nonsense about apple screwing you over?

----------

To OP, Above quote is my point, do the same, or deem the problem is not enough of a problem and keep it, right? If I'm missing something my apologies and please explain...

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

12. Coley, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

Coley macrumors member

I used to get this all the time with my 3GS (replacement phone) and would have to turn off/restart phone to make a proper call each time it started doing it. Then there was an iOS update, and it never happened again (the last one before iOS 5 I believe). I have no idea if that is relevant or not. It has actually happened once since I updated to iOS actually....I haven't been worried about it seeing as I havent used the phone a whole lot lately. And hanging up and making the call again worked that time around...but I'll keep my eye out for it. Maybe it's just some iOS thing that will be resolved with an update like the last time lol

13. DrDanH thread starter macrumors newbie

We succeeded in replacing both iPhones this weekend, through their points-of-sale (Sam's Club, Best Buy). New iPhones in perfect condition. So far, no issues. Interesting that the new, replacement phones only have the remaining replacement guarantee (e.g., the remainder of the original phones' 30 days). Fingers crossed!