trouble mirroring in mac os x

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flight1452, May 21, 2008.

1. flight1452 macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a Macbook Pro 2.4 gigahertz laptop. I recently bought a VGA > RCA conversion cord to use with the DVI > VGA converter that came with the macbook. I am trying to mirror my display on to my LCD TV using the RCA hook in's. I have tried all the different resolutions and refresh rates and the best I can get is like the screen is black and grey lines moving up and down and a weird noise coming from my TV. I'm assuming it has something to do with the refresh rate, the lowest I can get it at is 60 Hz on mac. I know its possible to work because when I restart in to windows and mirror the display it works fine. I think in windows I am using a 50 Hz refresh rate. Is it possible for me to get a lower then 60 Hz refresh rate in Mac OS X? or is there something else I need to do?

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

If you have an LCD TV, why use RCA? No DVI, HDMI, or VGA on your LCD TV?

3. flight1452 thread starter macrumors newbie

no HDMI, DVI is broken apparently on my TV.. and I haven't tried VGA but I dont have the cord.

4. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

A VGA cord is like 10 bucks at a local Best Buy, i would try that before bothering with RCA. What do you want to mirror for? Surely not to work lol, the RCA connection will never be good enough to really read text, only sort of passable for watching videos. VGA should give you a much better signal if you can get it hooked up

5. flight1452 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so correct me if im wrong.. but from the looks of it i want a vga male to vga female cord?

6. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I don't know what your TV looks like, but I am guessing you will want a male to male. Do the connectors look the same on the tv and the MBP? Or does one look like the opposite of the other? :)

7. flight1452 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. flight1452 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok yes its male to male.. thx.. ok so i also bought a dvi male to dvi male cord.. and it hooks in properly but absolutely nothing happens on the TV.. the computer detects it but my TV doesn't pick up a signal at all.. is my DVI broken or am i doing something wrong?

9. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

DVI probably has its own input, have you checked all the inputs while it is hooked up? It would be perfect if the DVI cord worked. DVI will probably be the best quality possible.

10. flight1452 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. flight1452 thread starter macrumors newbie

ohh if you mean the input on the TV.. as in i can change from HDTV mode to DVI mode.. and yes i've checked them all

12. flight1452 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok yea so i have it hooked in right now and its not even detecting the display on the computer either.. i guess i was wrong about that.

13. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Maybe your DVI cord is no good? I would take a trip to best buy, buy both of the cords new, try them out, and return whichever one doesn't work out

14. flight1452 thread starter macrumors newbie

well.. i just hooked the cord up to the TV and my cable box and it picked up a signal I just cant support HDCP on my TV so the cord and DVI is fine.. and when i hook it in to my laptop the screen flashes blank like its picking up a display.. but then it doesn't.. grr this is annoying :p