Trouble moving/opening iWeb site on new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drakeshipway, Mar 23, 2009.

1. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

I tried moving my iWeb site from my MacBook to my iMac,
    So i put the domain file on a USB stick and opened it on the iMac.
    When iWeb opened I selected the file as the domain.

Now when I open iWeb I still have to choose a domain.. It still pops up. This:

[​IMG]

How do I make it so I don't have to do this every time I open iWeb??

EDIT Ok, I tried dragging the domain file into the iWeb folder under: Library / Application Support / iWeb but iWeb wasn't there..

EDIT #2 ...I just dragged the file into the HD, and it's saved there now instead of on the USB stick. Solved this on on my own, I think! ;) Hahha!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Just as an explanation:

Like all the iLife applications, iWeb remembers what file was last accessed. Since the domain file was opened directly from the flash drive, and not copied somewhere locally that the computer could read it regardless if the drive was connected, that's why it was asking you to choose the file. This pathing is written onto the com.apple.(iLife application).plist inside of ~/Library/Preferences. It is why Garageband and iDVD show the splash screen instead of the project you were last working on if that file is removed. Ditto for if the iPhoto Library is relocated to another drive or somewhere other than ~/Pictures, and if the plist is removed, it'll try to look for an iPhoto library in ~/Pictures and if it can't find it it'll ask you to find the library. iMovie HD 6 worked on the same principle but iMovie 08 and 09 with the project library doesn't care what was last being worked on.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Just for future reference, the reason you didn't find that directory is that the domain.sites file is supposed to go into:

/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/iWeb/domain.sites

not
    in the Library at the root level of your hard drive.