Trouble networking Mac and PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drennan, Nov 24, 2008.

1. drennan macrumors member

Hi,

I've been trying for days to setup a wireless connection between my mac and pc. I want to setup a computer to computer network so my mac laptop can share the wired internet connection on my pc and access its internal and external drives. I've installed a wireless card in the xp machine, named it "HOMELAN" and configured it with a WEP password and for ad-hoc computer-computer network. I can see the network under my airport menu and it asks for a WEP password, but it connects whatever password I enter. I need the wireless to be secure as I have lots of important files on a USB HD that I want to connect to the PC.

The reason I think its the mac is because I've wiped the PC drive twice and installed different versions of XP (media edition and xp pro) and am getting the same problem. I've disabled the wireless card config software and told windows to manage wireless so i don't think its a problem with XP. I've followed this tutorial http://www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-28619.html so I know the XP config is correct but I can still connect from the mac with any password. Any ideas? Thanks :)

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Meh ... I tried to do exactly this myself a couple of times (using wireless to share a PC connection via ethernet), but the first time I gave up and bought a wireless router. The second time (at my in-law's) I just gave up.

Actually you got further than I did ... I couldn't get connected at all.

It seems to be a lot easier to set up a Mac to share its connection (a couple of key clicks and it's done).

What you spent on the wireless card and the time spent reinstalling XP probably cost you more than the $35 (edit: oops, you're in London - £37) a Netgear G router costs.

Incidentally, I don't think this could possibly be the Mac - no computer can connect to a secure connection without a valid password, so if your PC is accepting any password, it can't be set up properly.

3. drennan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I was thinking of getting a router as I just can't work this out. Its annoying though. Its really straightforward on the video above so its not simple config - something is failing somewhere. Maybe the wireless card or its driver software.

4. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

You should be able to create SMB share connections on your mac to your Windows box.

To get at data on a Windows PC (depending on which version you're using), make sure you have file sharing enabled via the Network app in Control Panel

To get at data on the mac, make sure you have file sharing enabled in the network applet in system preferences.

There were some SMB issues in the past - but those kinks seem to be worked out now, and I can freely move data around on my home network.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Just occurred to me ... if you're concerned about securing your PC and not making sensitive files accessible, you shouldn't be using WEP anyway. It can be broken in minutes.