Trouble opening DMG files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArcTangent, Aug 21, 2012.

1. ArcTangent macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm trying to open a DMG file on my mac. It's for a VPN so I could use it when I go abroad. Last time I used a VPN on my PC and it worked just fine, but now when I got my mac (which is about a month old as of today...yay! :)) I'm having trouble installing the VPN.

I opened a DMG file when I needed to install chrome and there were no issues with that. Now I'm trying to install the VPN with the DMG file but it doesn't open. All that happens is that I click on the DMG file, and then it doesn't respond. I'll go to my downloads folder in the doc and it won't do anything. No response. Same for when I try to open it from Finder.

Any ideas on what I could do to open a DMG file on my mac? Someone said to open Disk Utility and do a repair check but even after that it still doesn't seem to be working :/

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where did you get the .dmg file? Can you re-acquire it? You may have a corrupted file.

3. ArcTangent thread starter macrumors newbie

It was from my college's school website. It actually worked on my PC last night when I tried it. I thought maybe it wouldn't open because of the file but it seemed to work fine on there without any hassle.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're not saying a .dmg file worked on your PC, as that's a Mac OS X format.

5. ArcTangent thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, hm. My friends with macs seem to have been able to download the VPN without any issues either. So I'm still a bit confused on what's going on... I tried google searching this and a few others have had the same problems, but I haven't found any answers from the google search, just concerns like mine. Any suggestions on what I should do?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try downloading it again. You may also ask one of your friends who had success with this to help you.

7. ArcTangent thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried downloading and re-downloading. No luck yet, unfortunately. It also says I could try to do a web-based download. It says I need Sun Java. I tried getting that but it says I can get java by using software updates, but I'm not sure how to go about getting it...

8. Grzeus macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have created a .dmg folder with my macbook pro. Saved in micro sd. Then inserted in my samsung galaxy note 2 but it could not find an application to open it here. Anydoby can help? Thanks

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple Disk Image (.dmg) is a proprietary disk image format commonly used with the Mac OS X operating system. Windows cannot read them.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

To be fair I think he's asking if Android can open it...which is also a no. Hell, I don't even think iOS can handle a .DMG.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it can't:
    2013-02-06 16.55.08.png

12. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Ask one of your friends who successfully installed the .dmg to email a copy to you.

Are all of you running the same OS X version as well? The only other thing I can think of.