trouble partitioning and installing windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by anolderfan, May 17, 2010.

1. anolderfan macrumors newbie

I partitioned my IMAC a few days ago, assigning 32gb to the partition. But maybe somehow the partition didn't happen?

I downloaded Windows XP professional SP3 (32 bit) and burned it to a DVD+R. I named the DVD WinLite, as this was the name that appeared in the Finder Window. I removed the DVD.

I opened boot camp assistant and for installation it asked me to insert the DVD and click on installation. I did. After a while I got a black screen with this prompt: no bootable device- insert boot disk and press any key. I pressed any key and nothing happened.

I turned off the computer and turned it back on while pressing the option key, hoping to get back to the MAC HD. I got back to the same black screen with the same prompt. I did this three times and each time got back to the same black screen. This screen responds to nothing I do.

Please help! I should add that I'm a complete computer novice.

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What options do you get when holding alt while booting?

3. anolderfan thread starter macrumors newbie

I get no options. It simply returns to the black screen. I can't type anything on the black screen and I can't eject the DVD.

4. anolderfan thread starter macrumors newbie

This time, after reading the above posted link, I waited a bit before pressing the option key, and what appeared was only my MAC HD. I clicked on it and got back to the MAC HD. I ejected and reinserted the WinLite DVD, clicked on it and nothing happened. Does this mean my burning the DVD wasn't successful? Also, if only my MAC HD appeared as an option, does this mean my partition wasn't successful? Dare I try again?

thanks

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are you sure you have that partition? Open Disk Utility and check that. In most cases, the DVD isn't bootable, try rewriting with slowest write speed. If you really need Windows, buy Windows 7 Home Premium OEM for 99$ (or just download it)

6. anolderfan thread starter macrumors newbie

In Disk Utility I see the following

MAC HD
    BOOTCAMP
    Then a disk symbol: HL-DT-ST DVDRW GA11N

I don't know what that last item represents.

It seems I don't have a partition?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You do have, the BootCamp is your Windows partition. The last one is your DVD drive. As I said, try rewriting Windows and then reinstalling

8. anolderfan thread starter macrumors newbie

9. anolderfan thread starter macrumors newbie

I burned a new DVD. I clicked it and it showed a folder WinLite. I clicked on the folder and all 11 files were there. At the top it said "11 items, zero KB available. I ejected it. Went to bootcamp assistant again, and chose to install Windows. It asked for my windows disk, I inserted the DVD, and chose installation, and got the black screen again, with the same prompt "no bootable device-- insert boot disk and press any key." I got out of this screen again by turning off the computer, restarting, waiting a few seconds and pressin alt. Got back to my MAC HD. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

10. ldobson macrumors regular

How are you burning the DVD? are you burning an DVD ISO image, or are you burning specific files to the DVD? What version of Windows are you trying to burn? It sounds like bootcamp is trying to boot the DVD you insert but the DVD is not bootable, hence the error. There is something wrong with how you are burning the DVD..

Perhaps you can provide the list of files that you are downloading..

11. anolderfan thread starter macrumors newbie

are you burning an DVD ISO image, or are you burning specific files to the DVD

I actually had a difficult time burning the DVD. I think I finally opened the file in finder, and clicked on burn. I don't know what an ISO image is.

What version of Windows are you trying to burn?

I'm trying to burn an OEM Windows XP professional SP3 (32 bit) downloaded and paid for from the internet (www.xp-sortware.net)

Perhaps you can provide the list of files that you are downloading..

On the DVD

folder: WinLite 1

within that folder:

autorun.inf
    last session.ini
    last session_u.ini
    readme.htm
    setup.exe
    setupxp.htm
    win51lp.sp3
    win51
    win51lp
    dotnetfx (folder)
    1386 (folder)

There are many files within the dotnetfx and 1386 folders, which I'll list, if important.

Thanks

12. anolderfan thread starter macrumors newbie

The person who downloaded the same Windows XP program and successfully installed it onto his MAC said he did it without burning a DVD. He said he thought he downloaded Windows before he partitioned his MAC, and doesn't think he was ever asked to insert a CD or DVD. So, since Windows is now downloaded to my computer, I deleted the partition, and then recreated it and tried to install Windows again. Bootcamp insisted on my inserting a disk, so I inserted my DVD, and got the same black screen with "no bootable device-- insert boot disk and press any key." At least I know how to get out of the black screen by restarting and pressing alt. I had changed my preferences to always boot with the MAC HD, but this had no effect-- I had to use the alt key again.

Please help.

Thanks in advance

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

14. anolderfan thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to that url and found the following instructions:

First go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

Then go to Images > Burn and find your ISO.

Forgive me for being so ill informed, but what is an iso and how can I find it?

Thanks

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

ISO is your Windows XP file, find that and burn it. It must have .iso extension

16. anolderfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much. I was able to burn the disk and install Windows. I'm up to step 3, Installing the boot camp drivers fro Windows. I was asked to eject the Windows DVD, which I couldn't do in Windows, so I went back to MAC to eject. Do I insert the MAC OS X installation disc while in Mac or in Windows?

Thanks again.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Insert it while in Windows. Just look for the setup.exe file and run that