Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egyptianeyez

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
The 2.2 is a Santa Rosa MB, it can support 4 GB of RAM. The 2.16 is a pre Santa Rosa mother board, it supports up to 2 GB of RAM (3 in reality but you are supposed to put matching RAM chips in both slots for the best performance). I'd get the black one, it's what you want right? I think when you are talking about spending this kind of cash you better get what you want, it's not the type of thing you should settle on.

I've got a 2.0 GHz (black) I got it when 2.0 GHz was the top of the line, that was only in May. Believe me, with 2 GB of RAM in there it's unbelievably fast!

SLC

Wow, so 4GB must be like ridiculously fast, but the black one is what i want, and i think that if im spending a grand i should get the one that is most appealing to me.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
The 2.16 is a pre Santa Rosa mother board, it supports up to 2 GB of RAM (3 in reality but you are supposed to put matching RAM chips in both slots for the best performance).

This is true, but you'll see a much greater boost from using 2gb + 1gb = 3gb than you ever will from matching 1gb + 1gb = 2gb sticks.

To the OP: Go with the 2.16ghz model if you need 3gb of RAM, go with the 2.2ghz model if you need 4gb. In either case, you aren't going to notice the difference between 2gigs, 3gigs, and 4gigs unless you're doing intensive Photoshop/rendering-type stuff, or running Vista under Fusion. For surfing, mail checking, office, movies, music, etc, it's pretty much the same once you get past 1gb.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I'd think so, yeah. But having never experienced 4 GB I can't say for sure just how much faster it is. I'm continually amazed at how quickly even 2 GB can launch Photoshop for me, I'm running CS3 and Photoshop is up and running in like 5 seconds. My old PC took about 3 minutes to get photoshop going (it was admittedly behind the times though.)

SLC

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Does the 3GB trick really work that much better? I've been told that having unpaired RAM would hinder it's performance. I'm not arguing with you, just asking since I don't really know.

SLC

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Does the 3GB trick really work that much better? I've been told that having unpaired RAM would hinder it's performance. I'm not arguing with you, just asking since I don't really know.

SLC

Yeah, more RAM is always better. Matched sticks offer either a 1% or 7% bonus, depending on who you ask, but say 3gb over 2gb is an automatic 50% bonus, guaranteed...

In terms of the diff between 2gb/4gb though, yeah, it's not nearly as visible (for most people I think) than the 1gb/2gb difference. I run 2gb, and it's plenty fast. I'm only wondering whether to upgrade or not since RAM's so cheap these days...

Eidorian said:
Gaming on the GMA950 much? Even WoW?

It's not worth it then.

Yeah, that's a point too. OP, if you're planning on gaming, you'll want the newer card (though it's still integrated). If you're really gung ho on games though, you'll want the MBP!

egyptianeyez

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
That link you gave me, had 2GB RAM for 48 bucks, i can't see myself doing to much multi-tasking on my laptop.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
^ Also keep in mind that RAM prices run on a U-shaped curve. At some point, they're not going to get any cheaper, and will only get more expensive again. So if you wait too long for prices to go down, they might start heading up!

egyptianeyez

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
also, are speakers on macbooks horrible? from what i heard, i heard they are very quiet

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
^ Also keep in mind that RAM prices run on a U-shaped curve. At some point, they're not going to get any cheaper, and will only get more expensive again. So if you wait too long for prices to go down, they might start heading up!
Vista really drove prices up last year around this time.

I've seen a single 2 GB stick hit ~$35 on NewEgg but I don't think it'll get any lower.

also, are speakers on macbooks horrible? from what i heard, i heard they are very quiet
Get external speakers or a good set of headphones.

egyptianeyez

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
egh i wish they made the speakers better. and, about boot camp. i have vista ultimate edition, and i want to put it on the macbook when i get it via boot camp. if i do things on vista do i have to turn it of to go back to leopard? and do my files save on both OS?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
egh i wish they made the speakers better. and, about boot camp. i have vista ultimate edition, and i want to put it on the macbook when i get it via boot camp. if i do things on vista do i have to turn it of to go back to leopard? and do my files save on both OS?
Laptop speakers have rarely been remarkable.

You'll have to reboot to switch between operating systems.

egyptianeyez

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Laptop speakers have rarely been remarkable.

You'll have to reboot to switch between operating systems.

what about file saving? do they go on both? or would i have to reboot everytime i want a file from different os

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
if i do things on vista do i have to turn it of to go back to leopard? and do my files save on both OS?

Yes you need to restart to go back to OS X, but you'll find yourself using Vista less and less everyday (I did at least). I also had Vista Ultimate and it ran well, in fact my macbook got a better windows experience score than my father in law's brand spankin new Dell desktop which was similarly equiped but that had a dedicated video card, go figure:rolleyes:.

Your files won't save on both OS'es, I've heard that you can format your vista partition so that it's possible but it would have to be very small and I'm not sure if it's really possible or how you would do it. I think it has something to do with the format you use for the partition. However, using parallels desktop allows you to have a file to save stuff in that's accessible by both OS'es and you don't have to re-boot to go between Vista and OS X. That may be a better alternative for you.

And yes the speakers are just about the only complaint I have about the Macbook.

Edit: Eidorian gave you the boot camp solution you were looking for!

SLC

egyptianeyez

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
one more thing, the battery life on a macbook, when does it start to wear down? and is it bad to go on using it alot without keeping it plugged in to the power outlit? because thats going to drive me up the wall

egyptianeyez

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
so if i didnt want to unplug the charger, is that bad if i leave it in even when its fully charged?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.