Trouble playing .avi files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hengest, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Hengest macrumors newbie

I have several .avi files that I have recorded on my digital camera and uploaded to my MacBook over the past several years. At the time I first uploaded them, they worked fine. But now, when I try to play them, Quicktime just shows the first frame or a black screen and the cursor (or whatever it's called) moves very quickly from the beginning to the end. Also, when I CMD+I the files, it shows that they're only a few kb each.

Now, I've gone through these boards and downloaded just about every app, player, codec, etc. I've seen mentioned, and nothing has helped.

Any thoughts?

Just a little more background: these files have gone back and forth from my external hard drive to my computer several times over the past few years. Could this have caused the problem?

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

If it's the Finder info, you have a problem. If it's the Quicktime info showing it, go check the filesize info in the Finder.

Do you have backups?

3. JamesCotte macrumors newbie

JamesCotte

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If finder is telling you the files are that small then they are probably corrupted or have something else wrong with them, and I don't think there is much you can do. The one thing I would suggest if you haven't tried it already is to use VLC if that doesn't open it then probably nothing will. But based on your post you probably already tried.

5. Hengest thread starter macrumors newbie

I was afraid of that. Yes, I might have backups. Thanks for the input, everyone!

6. CCClassic macrumors newbie

File size normal but still won't play!!

I have similar problem to Hengest. Been exporting photo files into an external HD (and video files .avi taken with camera) to make space in MacHD. Found out files won't play from External HD. Picture appears but play button won't.
    Should I have converted file before exporting? Also tried playing with VLC and Perian - no luck. File size seems normal (unlike Hengest's files)

7. colettesaxby macrumors newbie