Trouble playing DVD's burned with Disk Utility

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by whobbler, Sep 15, 2008.

1. whobbler macrumors newbie

First post for me.

I recently bought a Sony DVP-NS725P DVD player which only plays region 1. (If anyone has tips on how make it multi-region please let me know) The player is supposed to play DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, however when I burn .img files with Disk Utility they won't play. It says "Playback prohibited by area limitations."

First time I tried it with a DVD-RW from Japan, so I figured that was the problem, so I went out to get some burnable DVD's from walmart but to my surprise I got the same message.

Is it because of Disk Utility?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Is the disk image formatted correctly for DVD-Video? Or is it formatted as a data DVD? What program did you use to author the DVD?

FWIW, no matter what brand of blank disc you purchase, they're almost all made in Asia. Stay away from cheap, low quality brands like Memorex.

-DH

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

It sounds like the disc images you're burning are region encoded for a region other than region 1.

Since a .img file is an exact image of a DVD, the region encoding is also preserved, unless you've removed that before/while creating the .img file.

4. whobbler thread starter macrumors newbie

I realized that the .img files were PAL, but I'm trying to play them on an American DVD so that's probably the problem huh?

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Some TVs/DVD players can play both, but some can't. Some DVD players can be made region free, so you might look into that.

6. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

right, you probably want a region free DVD player, or you can change it on your computer but you've got a limited number of switches

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

A lot of the newer DVD players equipped with HDMI (even American ones) can output PAL signals over the HDMI connection. However, they will still be limited to their region of origin unless you find a region-free version of the player.